Teresa
Teresa
  • Schenectady, NY

Jazzy Planter Using Unicorn Spit, an Old Full Size Headboard and Wood

Sanded head board.
Sanded head board.
I wanted to do something special for my niece for Christmas. I decided to make a planter from a headboard after seeing someone's post on this site. ( I am sorry, I forgot to keep your name, but thank you for the inspiration!) And I could not wait to play with Unicorn Spit!
jazzy planter using unicorn spit an old full size headboard and wood, container gardening, crafts, gardening
After sanding, I started applying the Unicorn Spit gel stain. It is said that you cannot mess it up. However, I was not happy with my first attempt. I thought there was something wrong with me, so I walked away and went back later.
I continued to add color. At one point, I did not let dry and ended up making it brownish because the colors blended too much. I not only added color, but used my fingers as a brush and added shapes that ended up looking somewhat like fall leaves. I have to add here, the color gets so much richer and deeper once a top finish is added.
No, you have not lost it! This is the other side! I decided to do a completely different design on the opposite side of the headboard. Since I love purple, I had to add more.
While I was playing with color and waiting for it to dry, the legs were cut down, my husband built the planter box and the rest of the pieces were painted with home made black chalk paint. Every single piece had 2 coats of tung oil and 3 coats Valspar Urethane for outdoor use, BEFORE it was reassembled. I wanted to make sure it was well protected. It is hard to see from the picture, but this is the front side. The planter will allow direct planting or pots.
This is the back. It will be pretty and colorful in the yard no matter which side you are looking at. She had already been picking out what would go in the before the Christmas holiday was over and since we are in the Northeast, planting season is a long way off!
I apologize that this is kind of disjointed. I rarely have a plan when I start a project. I have a general idea and make it up as I go along.
I highly recommend Unicorn Spit. It is a blast to use, is low or no voc and dries fast. The colors are vibrant and you can use as a solid cover or lets the grain show through.
Happy recycling!!

• Sherrie

Where do I buy this in the US? What is the ordering site please. Beautiful job on the planter!

• Teresa

Thsnk you Sherrie! The site is www.unicornspit.com the shipping is really fast and all the colors are beautiful!

• Denise

Do you know if you can you get unicorn spit in Australia? I'm in the Northern Territory so a fair way to our major city of Darwin. Thanks, your planter looks amazing. I agree with Sandra Crosbie in Ireland, could also make a wonderful bench seat. Cheers from Oz.

• Teresa

Thank you! I am not sure if you can get in Australia. Try the www.unicornspit.com website. She has a contact tab on top and you could ask. After watching her tutorial videos, I know that she will respond promptly and with a smile.

• Linda Madaus

What colors did you use?