Using Quilts As Wall Art #WallCandy

Quilts aren't just for keeping warm. They can also be wall art. I have been hanging quilts as long as I've been making them.
You can sew a muslin "sleeve" along the top of the back of the quilt to put a window rod through. Or if the quilt is smaller, I just tack it to the wall with thumb tacks. The one you see here is attached to the wall with thumb tacks.
using quilts as wall art, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
Quilts aren't something that you can make overnight. The one you see in the photo I hand-sewed, hand-appliqued, and hand-quilted. That's quite some time I have invested in this quilt.
So I don't want to fold it up and put it away. I want to be able to see and enjoy it.
Besides, when quilts are left folded up for very long, it causes the folded part of the material to weaken and eventually fray. If you're going to keep quilts folded up, you should take them out every month or so and refold them so this won't happen.
I consider quilts works of art. It's not that this quilt is all that special. But it's special to me because it was my hands that created it.
I love the colors in it, and I like lots of color in my decorating. It gives me a feeling of coziness to see a quilt on the wall. Or a quilt anywhere in a room just suggests warmth and comfort.
In this decorating vignette, I brought a dresser into my apartment living space, placing a wicker chair at each end. Then I hung the quilt in the middle.
To add interest and contrast to the area, I placed a table runner over the dresser. Then I put some of my collection of white pitchers inside a rustic galvanized tray.
I also made the pillows in the chairs, and one of the quilts lying across the back of one chair. I didn't make the red and beige quilt. It was a consignment store find.
I love the decorating tableau I have created along this wall. It's pretty to look at and I got to use some of my favorite things to create it. Best of all, my quilt isn't folded up in the dark somewhere!
Consider using quilts as artwork. If someone who is now gone made you a quilt, I think she would be pleased that you are showcasing it in her memory.
Brenda @ Cozy Little House

• Lynn Morrow Slegel

Specifically how did you hand the quilt? It so perfectly straight at the top, is there a backing piece? And what did you use to hang on the wall? It is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.

• Jeanne Johnson Ortego

I love it! My mother gave me a really old quilt from my grandmother. It's got the Little Dutch Girl squares. Unfortunately , it's quite damaged because the cotton dry rotted and it has age stains. Any ideas on how to clean it without it falling apart? I would love to hang it.
    • Leslie

I have 2 quilts that my great-great grandmother made over 200 years ago. They were well loved and passed down through the family but time has taken it's toll. I've been waiting to find a way to repair them but they're too fragile and damaged now. Your wall hanging idea has me anxious to hang my precious treasures anyway! Being able to see the old cotton batting, hand stitching,etc. shares the countless hours of love that my sweet ancestors put into them.

• Julie Wall

What is pattern name for this quilt?