Louise M
Louise M
  • Dunn, NC
Asked on Jan 24, 2012

When can I cut back my lantanna? It's huge!

MeribethMike and Anne360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+4

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I usually don't recommend cutting it back until it shows back up in the spring. Do you know what kind it is? Is it tall and bushy ?

• Yes, wait until spring and fertilize with a bloom special fertilizer.

• Louise M

My lantana bush is tall and bushy with tiny red, yellow,pink and white flowers.

That sounds like "Miss Huff." Even it looks pretty bad right now, you should wait until new grow emerges and then prune hard.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I am with Douglas, sounds like a Miss Huff and it would be better for the plant if you wait until it shows new leaves. The stems on the Miss Huff are brittle and sort of hollow, so if you cut it, you risk damaging the plant from the inside out. Water will collect and freeze inside the plant, then bust it.

• Mike and Anne

Louise it you have an hardy variety of lantana, I wouldn't cut back the old canes until the new growth comes out in the spring. You could kill lantana if you cut it back any earlier in this area.

• Meribeth

I cut mine back several times during the summer and it just grows right back full as ever.