MN Mom
MN Mom
  • Chanhassen, MN
Asked on Jan 19, 2016

What are the benefits of chalk paint?

Katie @ Fun Home ThingsLarissa ~ Prodigal PiecesLowoodley
+2

Chalk paint seems to be all the rage. I've never used it. Does anyone use regular paint or stain anymore? It seems like everyone is painting everything...even fabric.
  • I have fallen in love with chalk paint! It covers very well, has a nice flat finish but is very durable. You can mix your own to save money too. The thing I like the most is I don't have to prep or prime first. I have a comparison chart of 4 chalky paint recipes you can make yourself: http://lovemydiyhome.com/homemade-chalky-paint-recipes/

• Chris aka monkey

i love the no prep part also, and it sticks to everything very well, it can be waxed or covered in poly and it is easy to make your own, i do still use paint depending on what the project is i am not a fan of stain though, my beleif is you use what ever makes you comfortable to use xx

• Lowoodley

I just did my vanity in Paris grey chalk paint. Very matte finish. Then used a regular wax then the dark wax. Have to be honest, wish I would have found a semi-gloss furniture paint instead. I really wanted the contemporary look. Don't feel like the chalk paint did that for me.

• My business is furniture and have worked on paint crews, etc. I have found that chalk paint is a bit overrated and not worth the money. I do paint and stain and feel that one day this fad will run it's course, as most do. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have! :)

• Hi Barbara! I'm pretty much repeating what everyone else has said. I started using it 2 years ago and absolutely love it. No prep, no sanding, no stripping, it covers any surface, is very durable and I love that paint strokes are a GOOD thing for achieving an antique look with chalk paint. I still use stain and latex paint for other projects but most of my furniture is chalk painted. Painted furniture is just really big right now. Give it another 5-10 years and it will be something else. :-) I hope that helped!

, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Emperor s Silk with clear wax