Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Jan 24, 2012

Does Kilz go bad? A long time ago I bought green tinted Kilz. It's been in my garage - I used it today -

PatDiana DeileyDonna McCrummen
+8

It smells bad, different, yukky. I already put it on will I have to redo the area?
  • FloorNerd

It all depends how long was it sitting there most paints that sit for a long time what happens is all the oils and tit rises up to the top there fore need to be shaken up really good to get it back to we're it should be. Did you shake it?

• Ricardo B

KILZ smells bad and looks yucky when it's new. I'm with Mark... Stir, shake, stir, stir and stir...

• 3po3

Is your garage conditioned? The Kilz manufacturer's website has a big all-caps warning - KEEP FROM FREEZING - but then just says to thaw before use. I have seen other places say that freezing ruins it, but I couldn't confirm that through the Kilz people.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

If it's oil-based, it just needs stirring but I have a hunch you have latex based that's soured over time; I too know the smell well All paint should be stored in conditioned spaces. Good ol mildew will grow in latex paints when left in warm environments and of course it is not good for the paint to freeze either. You have an interesting question. I don't know exactly what will happen if you don't re-kilz. A couple of times over the years, out of necessity, I have painted over it but then left, never to return. Sad to say, if it were my house, I would probably need to redo the room. Most folks make this mistake of storing their paint 'outside' in the garage. Best, Charles

• Donna McCrummen

Our garage is heated and rather cool in summer. But I guess it just got old and stinky. I painted over it - I hope it's ok. Thanks for all the comments - yes, shake stir shake stir stir stir.

• Latex paint that has gone bad smells a bit like rotten eggs (to me anyway). Is that anywhere close to what it smelled like to you?

• FloorNerd

No your right Dan worse then year old eggs some times lol

• Here is an article that gives tips for storing paint. It may help: http://www.networx.com/article/secrets-of-saving-paint-for-later

• Donna McCrummen

No, it doesn't smell as bad as rotten eggs. Thanks for the article Kass.

• Diana Deiley

When in doubt, don't is my motto. Why use a product that smells to begin with? A fresh quart of tinted Kilz would have been better. Excellent question though.

• Pat

Hey everbody, thanks so much for your responses. It is a spray can. Can is in good condition LOL, but I'm assuming it is quite a few years old. Guess I could try it on something old outside. The spot Is in my pretty living room....came from the sink in the bathroom above. Love this site. Must check it out more often. Again, thanks.