Sweet Pickins
Sweet Pickins
  • West Jordan, UT

Floral Acid Mirror by Sweet Pickins

$10.0

I paint these old dressers with mirrors often and i wanted another way to make my pieces stand out! Ive seen this idea around, it was pretty popular about 4 years or so ago. Its been on my to-do list since then and i finally gave it a try! Plus anything floral makes me happy :)
See the floral peeking out in the mirror?
1st step is to gather supplies - i ended up only using the paint stripper and the muriatic acid. Be sure to wear solvent resistant gloves and a respirator.
floral acid mirror by sweet pickins, decoupage, how to, painted furniture, shabby chic
Apply paint stripper to the back of the mirror...
Wipe the mirror with a paper towel to remove the black paint that covers the reflective coating...
Rinse the stripper off in the sink...
Take your spray bottle filled with the muriatic acid and spray all over the mirror. Work fast because its quick! Right after i sprayed the acid, i rinsed it off with water. If you let the acid sit too long, all the reflective coating will come off the glass. Every mirror is obviously going to be a bit different - so maybe experiment in a corner.
I also took my rubber gloves and kind of blotted the mirror - just to make little pieces of the reflective coating come off and loot more "mottled" and more realistic - you want the piece to look like its been aged.
After letting the mirror dry, apply a layer of napkins, paper, tissue paper, wrapping paper, fabric, whatever you would like with a layer of Mod Podge - or i used Sweet Pickins Top Coat.
Then you can apply another layer of sealer on the back of the fabric to seal the whole thing in, but i dont think its necessary.
And heres the final look!! You can see that there is still a lot of the mirrored surface left on there...
Heres one i did with printed tissue paper that looks like newspaper print!
To see more pics, visit my website for the full blog post! You can also find me on Facebook (Sweet Pickins Milk Paint and Furniture) where i post lots of other things!!
Sweet Pickins

• Maureen

You washed paint stripper and muriatic acid and the reflective coating down the drain into the water system?!!!

• Cammy Jarvis

She washed it down the sewer system. Big difference in the two.

• Pattybgarni

Interesting process and result. I have a question on the chest shown with the mirror. Love the distressing of the chest and mirror. Can you give me some instructions or tell me where I should look. Thank you.

• Sweet Pickins

I painted that using sweet Pickins Milk Paint! There are several tutorials on my site- sweetpickinsfurniture.com

• Steve

Isn't there a more safer eco friendly way better than what your doing?

• Liz

Maybe a single edge razor. Would scrape it off. Depending how thick the reflective coating is.

• Pamela

Sooo coool...I must try this thanks for the inspiration and instructions

• Debi

I will try this with photos