Canary Street Crafts
Canary Street Crafts
  • Cincinnati, OH

Upcycled Thrift Store Plates

Home decor doesn't have to be expensive. With a little imagination and elbow grease you can create your own unique decor at a fraction of the cost.
upcycled thrift store plates, chalk paint, crafts, home decor
This shelf in my favorite thrift store is always full of plates and platters that are priced around a dollar or two each. I grabbed a few with the intention of grouping them together to hang on my living room wall.
First I wanted to give them a new finish that would work better with my decor and make them cohesive. Here's a before pic of one of the platters.
You can find details and/or links to the products we used in our blog post here: http://canarystreetcrafts.com/upcycled-thrift-store-plates/
Please visit our blog to see the full, step by step tutorial.
Canary Street Crafts

• Sheila Nelson

Love the idea, have several of these same dishes didn't know what to do with them. Where do I find the DIY for the end table? Just love that too. Thanks for sharing.

• Barbara A. Howell

How did you attach the plates to the wall?

• Mary k wareham

very nice,do you paint first,then the dark wax then paint again wouldn't that cover the wax? I may have misunderstood your instructions if you could post that again, I like the dark showing

• Canary Street Crafts

Hi Mary! You understood correctly. I painted then dark waxed, then lightly dry brushed more paint over top to layer the colors and tone down the dark wax. It doesnt completely cover the dark wax.

• Joni Kinsey

Cool idea

• Joanie

They look very pretty!! The tray with the tree........My mind is in third gear, thinkin' of a family tree......adding embellishments of something??? The children's birthstones on each limb of the tree, as ornaments for a Christmas tree, for a holiday decoration........just rambling thoughts...@$$$&*)&$#@