Jennifer Allwood
Jennifer Allwood
  • Kansas City, MO

My Gallery Wall of Old Windows

Putting to good use some of the old windows that I've been collecting in the basement for years and years!
my gallery wall of old windows, repurposing upcycling, wall decor, windows
We've been working diligently to transition our home from the gold and brown color palette to the grays and creams. If anyone ever tells you it's not hard to do, don't listen to them! Changing the entire color scheme of your home is allllllllllot of work. But also, well worth it.
Last year at this time our living room wall looked like this. Ok, so perhaps it was "a little much", but I LOVED it. I love gallery walls. I like totally wanna marry them I love them so much.
But now that we have new furniture and a new color scheme, I wanted ANOTHER gallery wall, just "toned" down a bit.
So, I decided to put to good use some of the 1,716 old windows that I have in the basement (anyone else have a window obsession?).
First we laid them out on the floor in an attempt at a pseudo plan. I wanted frame colors that weren't identical but blended.8
And we started with the largest in the middle first and worked our way out from there. In the middle of the hanging the first window, my friend Jen swung by the house and I put her to work cuz' when you show up at the Allwood house, you may end up on social media (find my Jennifer Allwood Facebook page with over 150K people!). Ha! Jen is such a good sport!
Yes, my husband Mr Magic literally drilled long screws right into the frames of the windows and right into the wall. We couldn't have the windows falling off onto the sofa and hurting someone! And I'm not afraid of a few holes to repair down the road.
And there it is. My new gallery wall of windows. With a pop of color on the wreath.
Sidenote: yes, I know that one window IS covering the cold air return vent and according to a few people on my Facebook page..... that's apparently highly frowned upon in the heating and cooling industry??? So, I am planning on taking that top frame down ONLY to knock out the glass and then hang it right back up. I hate wall vents and tend to decorate as though they just are not even there.
I do have this project on my Pinterest page at www.pinterest.com/jenallwood. And if you enjoy DIY and decorating, head over to my blog (link below) and sign up to have my projects sent right to your inbox!
Happy decorating!
Jennifer
Jennifer Allwood

• Bleach

Love this. Thanks for the inspiration. Anyone else notice the horse head in the pic where they’re hanging the frames?

• Debbie Eagan Fogel

Loved this!! I might do this in my kitchen. I collect Roosters. Thought I could cover each individual frame with chicken wire. We are building a new pole barn home and it would be awesome.