Want A Seedling Heating Mat? You May Already Own One!

When starting seeds indoors, one way to get your seeds to sprout faster is to offer a little extra warmth while still keeping the soil mixture moist. You can buy germination heating mats to place under the containers or make your own like I did here.
The idea actually came to me when I was putting away some decorative LED rope lights during the holidays and I noticed they were slightly warm. Perfect temperature for gently warming my seedling containers!
-Simply string the rope lights back and forth in rows along the shelves and sit the water-tight seedling containers on top of them. No need to tie the lights down-the weight of the containers holds them in place.
-Most seeds don't actually need light until they have germinated so just move them to the grow lights once they have sprouted. .
Make sure you read the label on your lights. MIne says it's fine to leave them on but do not ever submerse them in water so I make sure all of my containers do not leak.
More details on my blog including my inexpensive DIY grow light setup: http://www.empressofdirt.net/easy-homemade-heating-mat-for-starting-seeds/
A frugal, homemade alternative to good (but expensive) seedling heating mats.
LED rope lights to the rescue. Don't just pack them away after the holiday season!
String LED rope lights along a shelf. No need to tie them down.
You can see my homemade grow light setup on my blog - it's inexpensive and works great.
String LED rope lights along a shelf. No need to tie them down. You can see my homemade grow light setup on my blog - it's inexpensive and works great.
Sit the seedling container on top of the rope lights. The container will be gently warmed from below.
These are my peas a few days after planting. They obviously like this arrangement.
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Desiree Brooker

Lorna, LED lights are different and give a better and more organized lighting spectrum for your plants!!! I.E..the choice for LED lights.

• Dr. Mantis Tobbogan

These have to be incandescent rope lights not LEDs to put off heat. The LED rope lights are cool to the touch.