Dana Robinson
Dana Robinson
  • Nashville, TN
Asked on Apr 15, 2013

Got another gardening question for all Hometalk Peeps!

Dana RobinsonVetsyCaley's Culinaries
+9

Suddenly I have an opportunity to help startup a Community Garden in my apartment complex. Any ideas on how to do this on the cheap or for next to nothing? So far I might be able to use scrap lumber that isn't thrown away to make raised beds. And since an old sheet works for lining the milk crate. Maybe they will work in the raised beds as well?
  • Contact your local coop for ideas & maybe even a few gardening centers - some will donate for signage or might know about some school or other programs that do things like this for real world education

Congratulations, Dana! There is an American Community Garden Association that I'm sure will prove to be a valuable resource for you. Here, for example, are its tips on starting a community garden: http://www.communitygarden.org/learn/starting-a-community-garden.php

• Melody M

Dana , even using old newspapers to place on the bottom of the raised flower beds is a great way to recycle newspapers and they are bio degradable..they will keep out weeds and make it easy to garden. Just put a layer of paper down , and some old crushed eggs shells here and there and then your potting soil.... you can also use old coffee grounds which you can at your local Panera bread store for free if you take your own container ( you might want to call first to see if your area Panera will do this... they are usually good at doing that) good luck. Im looking forward to hearing and seeing your community garden. :)

• Dana Robinson

Thanks Doug I've been on their website and yes they have a lot of good advice too. i've been to The Co-op her in Davidson County and also Babylon Gardens Nursery at the Farmer's market Downtown. Babylon Gardens Has done many community gardens already and all they need are the particulars from people here. We're going to have an apt community meeting next Monday. Between now and then I'm going to do my best to get to know the neighbors that I haven't met yet and maybe they'll get on board.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

will you have reasonable access to water?

• Dana Robinson

I'm sure there's a faucet near. But I'm wondering about how to collect rainwater too.

• Rainwater - I would check out the rainwater pillow & maybe a few of my articles (though they are designed for bigger applications) http://blog.sls-construction.com/2012/going-off-grid-harvesting-rain-water

• Caley's Culinaries

There is an organization out of NY that will send you seeds: Nourishing USA. Here in Atlanta, the Atlanta Community Food Bank provides seeds and some tools to community gardens. There may be an organization there that does the same.

• Dana Robinson

My son volunteers at 2nd Harvest here every Tuesday and Thursday. I will make sure he asks for some seeds. Thanks Caley!

• Dana Robinson

Well we have had a meeting with other interested residents here in the apt complex. Since I have excel on my pc I'm doing the scheduling. This will be very interesting. :)

• Vetsy

Dana that sounds like fun! I live in a apartment but it's not designed for an activity like this one..I would love to see what you and your fellow residents do with your community garden.

• Dana Robinson

Buying a digital camera and a new , not so slow pc might help that too.