Clay B
Clay B
  • Chesapeake, VA

Hose Reel solution for yard and garden,outdoor faucet extension/remote

Got tired of the cheap plastic hose reels that don't last. Plus my dumb house builder, put the water spigots behind the AC units(real smart). So I built this to make the water much more accessible. I mounted an aluminum hose reel, up high, so no bending down, just a simple crank type. Plus used HD washing machine hoses (stainless steel 5/8" braided, not the typical 3/8"), with ball type spigots with quick
hose reel solution for yard and garden outdoor faucet extension remote, curb appeal, diy

• Penny Morris

Do you have a four spigot splitter at the house?

• Clay B

I have 2 spigots on back of house. City water spigot , and well water spigot. I put Y-fitting on each spigot. So I could have 2 city waters on my reel post, and 2 well water. That was my preference. I did this as I have a pool, and sometimes have to add water using city water, but want to water my plants with well water. Plus, I have a timer I use sometimes, so I can leave that connected to city or well water, and still always have 2 free spigots. Plus, I like one fresh water spigot available to fill dog water dish, or wash my hands etc. I have same hose reel in front of house, but only 2 spigots on that post.

• Leo Urban

What type of spigot did you use? Did you drill out the 4x4 ?

• Wil33831763

I don’t think I missed it but do you have a back view

• Jerri M

very cool!! great idea! thanks for sharing!

• Justin Prim

how long are the center 4x4s thinking of doing something like this myself and eventually want to get a hose real kinda like that so need to know how far apart I should make the horizontal parts
    • Clay B

Figure height.. 2ft go into ground. The the height above is what you want. But 8ft 4x4, with 2ft in ground, they will be 6 ft tall. As for width, buy the reel you want, then make width to fit the reel, centering the mounting holes on the vertical portions. Should only need to buy 3 pcs of 4x4x8ft to make this. 1 would be cut up for horizontal pcs. The 2 pcs you see on the bottom can be temporary, just needed to keep straight while cement is wet, you can remove once cement dries in ground, I just left mine on.