Hose Reel solution for yard and garden,outdoor faucet extension/remote

Got tired of the cheap plastic hose reels that don't last. Plus my dumb house builder, put the water spigots behind the AC units(real smart). So I built this to make the water much more accessible. I mounted an aluminum hose reel, up high, so no bending down, just a simple crank type. Plus used HD washing machine hoses (stainless steel 5/8" braided, not the typical 3/8"), with ball type spigots with quick disconnects from Lee Valley; so now I just leave the spigots behind the AC units on all the time; when winter comes, just remove hoses and shut off water. Also added copper post tops. Features 2-tap water spigots, and 2-well water spigots. Plus room for expansion, and to hang things on back and sides. Came out nice. The 2 upright posts ,are cemented in; the bottom cross members serve 2-fuctions, 1) were part of the overall design, 2) to hold in place/level while concrete dried. Plus I put Treated 4x4's around the entire area with pea-gravel. Was always muddy here(not much sun). Just have to stain a a few weeks. I drilled many holes and spaces around the perimeter for drainage; as I wanted to ensure the area doesn't fill up with water in heavy rains. (Note: I had one of those watered powered hose reels before, never really worked, you would need much higher than average water pressure to make these work properly; so I went back to simplicity- less problems I hope.) The reel was about $80, with the wood, hardware and plumbing etc, total cost about $400 (already had the hose and water timer).
UPDATE 5-30-2014: The only issue I had was plumbing parts from Lowe's and Home Depot. First I had used Galvanized nipples to go through the 4x4 to attached the faucets, they were rusting badly at the threads, and I replaced with Brass nipples. Secondly was the faucets, the faucet handles started rusting within months, these are outdoor faucets, and should not rust. I returned them, and ordered my faucets online, and they had a upgrade option for Stainless Steel handles; which I ordered and installed, now all is good again. Ordered the faucets with stainless steel handles from http://www.arrowheadbrass.com
UPDATE 6-5-2015: Due to freezing temperatures, I've been removing the spigots in winter. This year, I removed the hoses, but instead of removing the spigots, I just unscrewed the lag bolts on the cross members, and took the wood with spigots attached indoors for the winter, much quicker and easier.

25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas

• Penny Morris

Do you have a four spigot splitter at the house?

• Clay B

I have 2 spigots on back of house. City water spigot , and well water spigot. I put Y-fitting on each spigot. So I could have 2 city waters on my reel post, and 2 well water. That was my preference. I did this as I have a pool, and sometimes have to add water using city water, but want to water my plants with well water. Plus, I have a timer I use sometimes, so I can leave that connected to city or well water, and still always have 2 free spigots. Plus, I like one fresh water spigot available to fill dog water dish, or wash my hands etc. I have same hose reel in front of house, but only 2 spigots on that post.

• Leo Urban

What type of spigot did you use? Did you drill out the 4x4 ?

• Wil33831763

I don’t think I missed it but do you have a back view

• Jerri M

very cool!! great idea! thanks for sharing!

• Justin Prim

how long are the center 4x4s thinking of doing something like this myself and eventually want to get a hose real kinda like that so need to know how far apart I should make the horizontal parts
    • Clay B

Figure height.. 2ft go into ground. The the height above is what you want. But 8ft 4x4, with 2ft in ground, they will be 6 ft tall. As for width, buy the reel you want, then make width to fit the reel, centering the mounting holes on the vertical portions. Should only need to buy 3 pcs of 4x4x8ft to make this. 1 would be cut up for horizontal pcs. The 2 pcs you see on the bottom can be temporary, just needed to keep straight while cement is wet, you can remove once cement dries in ground, I just left mine on.