Clay B
Clay B
  • Chesapeake, VA

Hose Reel solution for yard and garden,outdoor faucet extension/remote

Got tired of the cheap plastic hose reels that don't last. Plus my dumb house builder, put the water spigots behind the AC units(real smart). So I built this to make the water much more accessible. I mounted an aluminum hose reel, up high, so no bending down, just a simple crank type. Plus used HD washing machine hoses (stainless steel 5/8" braided, not the typical 3/8"), with ball type spigots with quick
hose reel solution for yard and garden outdoor faucet extension remote, curb appeal, diy

• Tom smith

Like what I see but I see very little, would like to know about the hook up from what the picture shows. Great ideal just like to know more --I am a novice and need help. Thank you, tom😬

• Handy

Fantastic idea, just the type of setup that fits all family needs and elegantly done. If their are any measurement you can pass on for the frame and supports would be very useful.

• Clay B

The height is preference, just add couple feet to go into ground. Width was to fit this hose reel.

• Peter Wen

Where did you get the spigots?

• Clay B

The original faucet handles from Lowes started rusting within months, these are outdoor faucets, and should not rust. I returned them, and ordered my faucets online, and they had a upgrade option for Stainless Steel handles; which I ordered and installed, now all is good again. Ordered the faucets with stainless steel handles from http://www.arrowheadbrass.com" target="_blank">http://www.arrowheadbrass.com

• Kenneth Tupper

Did you make the reel or buy it and where?
  • Ami27301099

Do u have work plan for it?
    • Clay B

No, sorry. Takes just 3Pcs 4x4's. Size just based on hose reel purchased, and desired height you want. Add 2 feet to desired height to sink in ground, and cement in. I do recommend the Liberty brand reel. They have made this for many years, will last long time, and you can purcbase replacement o-rings when needed.. I'd you ever need a new one years from now, you can get identical one, and it will fit. mine still works great, replaced orings a few times, but I do water my plants a lot.
  • Penny Morris

Do you have a four spigot splitter at the house?

• Clay B

I have 2 spigots on back of house. City water spigot , and well water spigot. I put Y-fitting on each spigot. So I could have 2 city waters on my reel post, and 2 well water. That was my preference. I did this as I have a pool, and sometimes have to add water using city water, but want to water my plants with well water. Plus, I have a timer I use sometimes, so I can leave that connected to city or well water, and still always have 2 free spigots. Plus, I like one fresh water spigot available to fill dog water dish, or wash my hands etc. I have same hose reel in front of house, but only 2 spigots on that post.

• Leo Urban

What type of spigot did you use? Did you drill out the 4x4 ?

• Wil33831763

I don’t think I missed it but do you have a back view

• Jerri M

very cool!! great idea! thanks for sharing!

• Justin Prim

how long are the center 4x4s thinking of doing something like this myself and eventually want to get a hose real kinda like that so need to know how far apart I should make the horizontal parts
    • Clay B

Figure height.. 2ft go into ground. The the height above is what you want. But 8ft 4x4, with 2ft in ground, they will be 6 ft tall. As for width, buy the reel you want, then make width to fit the reel, centering the mounting holes on the vertical portions. Should only need to buy 3 pcs of 4x4x8ft to make this. 1 would be cut up for horizontal pcs. The 2 pcs you see on the bottom can be temporary, just needed to keep straight while cement is wet, you can remove once cement dries in ground, I just left mine on.