How to Remove Hard Water Stains From a Porcelain Sink

This isn't so much a pretty post or even very exciting (unless you get excited about cleaning) it's actually a how-to post for an easy fix.
Our current home has well water (our first experience with this) which leaves hard water stains on the porcelain sink in our hallway bathroom. I have looked at this ugly stain for a while now (OK, 2 years) and I thought "I need to fix that" and then I would walk out and forget about it.
Yuk. It was unsightly. I know.
It reminds me of my grandmother's house that was out in the country. Not a look that I'm going for.
I thought that I was going to have to buy some kind of hard core stain remover to get rid of it, but all I had to do to remove the stain was to soak it in vinegar.
I thought that I was going to have to buy some kind of hard core stain remover to get rid of it, but all I had to do to remove the stain was to soak it in the vinegar.
I asked my husband to pick up a bottle for me and this is what he got:
I poured it in the stopped sink and left it to soak over night.
That's it. A tiny bit of scrubbing and the stain was gone!
I was so excited that something I looked up as a natural remedy actually worked! If I had known it would be that easy, I would have done it much sooner. Now the sink is all shiny and clean again!
To see more on this post and other great ideas and DIY projects, stop by the blog!

Karen's Up on The Hill

• Carole Bisby

Hi I did ask the same question in the comment area but want to ask you again. Do you let this set in the sink for awhile and did you ever spray it in your shower and tub and if you did how did that work. Thanks any information will be helpful, Thanks carole

• Vickie

I loved the Dawn/vinegar mix for hard water stains, yes, it takes more rinsing to remove but does an incredible job of removing hard water and any other stains, soap scum, etc. one of my favorite cleaners!

• Donna Neill Perry

Hi Karen, I just saw your post on Hometalk about removing sink stains with vinegar. I love your wire soap holder mounted on the wall above the sink! Can you please tell me where you bought it? I love vintage things and your soap holder is adorable! Please email me at ohdonna621@yahoo.com. Thanks so much for your help!!

• Donna Neill Perry

Anita, I received an email stating my question about the vintage wire soap holder (which was shown in the post on Hometalk by Karen's Up On The Hill about cleaning her sink with vinegar) that my question had been answered. I've looked everywhere in here and do not see a reply! Your name was emailed to me as you had replied! I hope you understand my question and can tell me where I can buy this wire soap dish! Thanks!