Funky Colourful Draught Excluder

$15

Do you live in an old draughty house like mine. Then keep the cold air at bay with this fun colourful draught excluder. Think cross stitch is a faff ? This pattern uses supersized half stitches which makes it easy and speedy.

What you need is the pattern which can be downloaded for free from my blog here. Cross Stitch canvas 7 hpi (holes per inch), 200g of DK (worsted) yarn in colours of your choice. Tapestry needle, denim to back it and some stuffing.

Draw out the pattern onto your cross stitch canvas then stitch with your yarn using a half cross stitch.

When the pattern has been stitch trim your canvas so that you have at least 1cm border. Cut an old jeans leg to match the size of your canvas.

Pin right sides together and then stitch to the edge of the cross stitch leaving one end open for stuffing. This can be done either by hand or with a sewing machine.

Turn right side out and stuff with fiber then hand sew the end to close.

Your draught excluder is now ready. I have old draughty sash windows in my house and make small draught excluders filled with rice or lentils for these. Not only are they great at blocking draughts but the weight also stops the windows rattling in the wind.

If you don't want to cross stitch a draught excluder but like having the words check out my easy denim stencilled draught excluders here.

• Pattern  (On the blog)
  • Cross stitch canvas 7hpi
  • Worsted wool in various colours

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Michelle Frost

So cute! Would rice work as a filler?

• Delores Jackson

I don’t understand the half stitch. It covers the canvas without the other half? Can the letters be reduced for a smaller circumference stopper?

Delores

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

The wool I use is thick so no need to do a full cross stitch just half. To make a smaller circumference stopper you would need a smaller pattern. But if you just want to reduce the circumference how about having a smaller denim backing that would be easier.

• Lyn4010253

Don't worry about what your calling that stitch, I think any stitcher knows you have gone a with the thickness of your yarn, I love it and intend to make my niece one for her cottage, she will love it too, good job.

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

@Lynn.halliday43 Thanks ! I don't think it matters what you call the stitch as long as it's clear what you did. I'm sure your niece would love it.

• Ruidoso

I would love it too! SO ADORABLE!!