Wire and Floss Flowers

While perusing online for ideas, I came across an ancient flower making technique called Ganutell. This is a craft that originated in Malta many, many years ago. The handcrafted flowers are very beautiful - a detailed and elaborate form of artwork. I discovered a simpler way for me, of making these beauties and one, I'd like to share with you. Just a few materials are needed to make these lovelies: Floral wire - 26 gauge Stem wire Embroidery Floss Wood skewer Wire cutter Scissors
Begin by wrapping wire around a wood skewer stick, reaching a length of about two inches or more depending on the size of petal you want to make. Cut wire, press coils together and gently slide the wire off stick.
Cut a piece of heavier stem wire about 5 inches long . . .
and insert into coiled wire. Fold in half, stretching coils and shaping spiral wire into a petal. Try to stretch coils evenly and uniformly. Press ends together and twist to close, wrapping the thinner wire around to secure.
Take floss thread end and wrap around base of coiled wire petal, tie in knot to secure. Begin to wrap floss across coils (parallel) maintaining snugness (not too loose or too tight) as you wrap.
Continue wrapping the floss between the coils until reaching the top end.
Push floss thread through top middle coil and . . .
pull floss thread down the center of petal to base, wrap around, knot and cut off excess floss.
Shape petal by bending near base.
Repeat steps for five more petals.
Because I planned on attaching the flower to a tin box, I scrunched aluminum foil into a ball, pressing it flat half way, as a center to attach the petals using hot glue (temporary) and E6000 for a permanent seal.
This technique to make unusual flowers is almost unlimited as your creative imagination!

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Cathy Fallon- Pritsch

Lovely! Would like to see pictures of what you did with them.
    • Jewellmartin

@Gail@PurpleHuesandMe How creative can one person be? I'd like to learn more about the history of this craft. I was afraid it would take a skilled embroidery worker, but I think patience and precision are the skills needed. I can do this! Thanks and best wishes 😇
  • Angela

Hello,

i love roses .. have you ever made them n if so can you post info on how to diy

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Thanks, Angela! No, I've never made roses using this technique, but perhaps you can look on Pinterest under Ganutell or diy wire and floss flowers to see what's out there. It's a matter of shaping the wire into the type of petals you want and then wrapping it with floss. Roses would be very pretty! That's a great idea!

• Maryvh

Love this idea!

• Joanie

You sure have a great imagination of creation....YOU are one of God's children. Bless your heart......this is so beautiful!!