Cid P
Cid P
  • Henrietta, NY
Asked on Apr 17, 2013

how thick must a liner be for a nice pond?

LornnknausPonds Patios and Waterfalls Co.Cepontzsons
+3

i have a molded pond now for the last 13 yrs, but it cracked this summer so it's time for a change. We would like to do it ourselves, as my husband would like to cut corners, i must get out there and price a few things from a larger pump and a large liner so it will last another 13yrs. Alot of the rocks we have, just may need a few LARGER ones, but also a few lights would be nice too. so my question is thickness of liner and any hints where to go to start. i. would like to go bigger and better. Ebay i know but any other help you can give me. ty cindy in rochester n.y.
  • KMS Woodworks

This depends a bit on the size of the pond, I tagged some of the pond people here. @Ponds Patios and Waterfalls Co. @Pondscapes Atlanta These folks have posted some nice stuff here, You can use the search tool at the top of the page to find more.

• Pondscapes Atlanta

standard epdm rubber liner is 45-mil. Which is great. I'd go with epdm, not polyethylene. It's got more flex, and I've seen it last a bit longer. Find a coal contractor to help so you get a proper filtration system. I can offer more suggestions, but my climate is much different

• Cepontzsons

you can find all your answers here, as well as local certified contractors. http://www.aquascapeinc.com/

• we use 45 mil epdm liner made by firestone. It is strong and puncture resistant. I covered completely with rock and gravel it should last 30 years. Cutting corners on a pond is asking for failure and future costs far outweighing what it costs to do it right...hire a certified Aquascape contractor. We are the most highly trained and knowledgable people in the pond industry

• Lornnknaus

Agreed - EPDM is the only answer for longevity, its like inner tube sheeting.