ZENGARA Designs
ZENGARA Designs
  • Saint Cloud, FL

"STAINED" Glass Dining !!! #UnicornSPiT

$50

My cure for the holiday blues !!! .... Thanksgiving was over, and Christmas was rapidly approaching... I just had my NJ family here in Florida, and felt so deflated, knowing I would spend Christmas without them. My cure ?.....Unicorn SPiT and an original idea !!! Hope you all like it ! True ART THERAPY !

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know,
stained glass dining unicornspit, painted furniture

Well, they had seats..lol.... set of 4 chairs picked up about a year ago at a yard sale...just hanging out in the garage waiting for a new purpose in life !
Yep, the table too ! ...$10 bucks at another yard sale...I had a totally different idea in mind, until......... the week before Thanksgiving, my NJ family informed me that they were ALL coming to my house in Florida for the holiday ! YAY....and...oh no.....where will everyone sit ? ....I asked my prep guy, Jim, A.K.A, the hubby, to sand down and clean up the 4 chairs and table in the garage.. "we'll cover it, and re-do it after the holidays" ...DONE !
About a week after everyone went back to NJ, leaving me, my husband and son, feeling sadly lonely, I woke up with a mad, crazy idea for that huge dining table taking up all that room in my little work studio !!!! so, .....I dedicated a day to drawing out an original design with chalk..{so, I could fix the mistakes before actually putting brush to "canvas" so to speak ! ...Having a gypsy soul, my imagination went to a whimsical, celestial theme !
When I was fairly satisfied with the rough outline, I grabbed a detailing brush and my Midnight Blackness, Unicorn SPiT stain, and began to outline the design ! I really wanted the table to look like a stained glass window when it was finished. Of course, I would be using the most vibrant wood stain on the market to achieve the results.
Tedious work ? ...well, yeah !!!! ...but it became my therapy for those "blues" I mentioned earlier ! ...the more detailed the design became, the better I felt....I had a purpose, and a mission !!! {Thank goodness, I had done all my Christmas shopping online ! }
A little at a time, the design came to life....and those eyes....well, you can guess by the chalky smears, had been re-drawn several times !
As you can see..... the eyes took form, and the STAINED glass part was becoming more apparent with each color of Unicorn SPiT applied to the sections. I used small paint brushes to fill in the designated spaces in the design, as well as clean cotton cloths and my fingers where blending and color coordinating were needed.
About 7 days after I began the project, most of the spaces were filled in. I am certain every color of Unicorn SPiT was used !! ...I even made use of my empty jars to mix custom colors. Because, sometimes you just need a greener blue or a yellowy orange, right ?.....Best thing about SPiT....the colors blend and mix with ease..and the possibilities are only limited by ones imagination !!! { yes, mine is pretty out there}.
Staying true to typical Florida weather, heavy rains were predicted ! and although it's hard to admit...sometimes, my studio, {which is actually the garden shed in the back yard} will develop leaks in the roof if the rain comes in at a certain angle..... Unicorn SPiT is a water based gel stain, and needs to be sealed with an oil based product..... I quickly brushed on a coat of gloss polyurethane....this was way too much work to lose !!!
However...I wanted a glass-like shine, and knew I would be applying many coats of poly before achieving the desired result. I considered a 2 part epoxy sealer, but they are temperamental, and I got freaked out by the possibility of something going wrong during mixing or application. SO.....after reading many recommendations, I decided to seal with Helmsman SPAR urethane; the same product used on boats !!! .....GOOD CHOICE, and highly recommended !
SUPER SHINY, and application is achieved with a brush, and careful strokes ! No mixing, and low stress.....because after all....it was Christmas, and we have enough stress, right ?
Remember the chairs ?.....well, they got a matching coat of turquoise blue paint, and their black leather seats and backs re-installed ! ....I love the eclectic look of the chairs ! Let's face it; there is nothing "traditional" about this set !
3 coats of SPAR urethane {light sanding in between, I recommend 220 paper} ...and she shines like real stained glass !!!
What other wood stain product could produce such vibrancy ?....none I have ever used !! But UNICORN SPiT, gleams like glass !!
It's going to be really difficult to part with this set ! ..I am hoping someone will appreciate her unique character, and one of a kind design as much as I do ! For more information regarding the products used in this project AS WELL AS CLASSROOM INFO ON TTHIS TECHNIQUE please visit : https://www.facebook.com/groups/713700455459414/

• Gid32755308

I’m somewhat of an artist. This inspired but made my jaw drop because it’s one of the best DIY projects I’ve ever seen! Very talented!

• Kara

Wow, this is really beautiful!