"STAINED" Glass Dining !!! #UnicornSPiT

$50

My cure for the holiday blues !!! .... Thanksgiving was over, and Christmas was rapidly approaching... I just had my NJ family here in Florida, and felt so deflated, knowing I would spend Christmas without them. My cure ?.....Unicorn SPiT and an original idea !!! Hope you all like it ! True ART THERAPY !

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Well, they had seats..lol.... set of 4 chairs picked up about a year ago at a yard sale...just hanging out in the garage waiting for a new purpose in life !
Yep, the table too ! ...$10 bucks at another yard sale...I had a totally different idea in mind, until......... the week before Thanksgiving, my NJ family informed me that they were ALL coming to my house in Florida for the holiday ! YAY....and...oh no.....where will everyone sit ? ....I asked my prep guy, Jim, A.K.A, the hubby, to sand down and clean up the 4 chairs and table in the garage.. "we'll cover it, and re-do it after the holidays" ...DONE !
About a week after everyone went back to NJ, leaving me, my husband and son, feeling sadly lonely, I woke up with a mad, crazy idea for that huge dining table taking up all that room in my little work studio !!!! so, .....I dedicated a day to drawing out an original design with chalk..{so, I could fix the mistakes before actually putting brush to "canvas" so to speak ! ...Having a gypsy soul, my imagination went to a whimsical, celestial theme !
When I was fairly satisfied with the rough outline, I grabbed a detailing brush and my Midnight Blackness, Unicorn SPiT stain, and began to outline the design ! I really wanted the table to look like a stained glass window when it was finished. Of course, I would be using the most vibrant wood stain on the market to achieve the results.
Tedious work ? ...well, yeah !!!! ...but it became my therapy for those "blues" I mentioned earlier ! ...the more detailed the design became, the better I felt....I had a purpose, and a mission !!! {Thank goodness, I had done all my Christmas shopping online ! }
A little at a time, the design came to life....and those eyes....well, you can guess by the chalky smears, had been re-drawn several times !
As you can see..... the eyes took form, and the STAINED glass part was becoming more apparent with each color of Unicorn SPiT applied to the sections. I used small paint brushes to fill in the designated spaces in the design, as well as clean cotton cloths and my fingers where blending and color coordinating were needed.
About 7 days after I began the project, most of the spaces were filled in. I am certain every color of Unicorn SPiT was used !! ...I even made use of my empty jars to mix custom colors. Because, sometimes you just need a greener blue or a yellowy orange, right ?.....Best thing about SPiT....the colors blend and mix with ease..and the possibilities are only limited by ones imagination !!! { yes, mine is pretty out there}.
Staying true to typical Florida weather, heavy rains were predicted ! and although it's hard to admit...sometimes, my studio, {which is actually the garden shed in the back yard} will develop leaks in the roof if the rain comes in at a certain angle..... Unicorn SPiT is a water based gel stain, and needs to be sealed with an oil based product..... I quickly brushed on a coat of gloss polyurethane....this was way too much work to lose !!!
However...I wanted a glass-like shine, and knew I would be applying many coats of poly before achieving the desired result. I considered a 2 part epoxy sealer, but they are temperamental, and I got freaked out by the possibility of something going wrong during mixing or application. SO.....after reading many recommendations, I decided to seal with Helmsman SPAR urethane; the same product used on boats !!! .....GOOD CHOICE, and highly recommended !
SUPER SHINY, and application is achieved with a brush, and careful strokes ! No mixing, and low stress.....because after all....it was Christmas, and we have enough stress, right ?
Remember the chairs ?.....well, they got a matching coat of turquoise blue paint, and their black leather seats and backs re-installed ! ....I love the eclectic look of the chairs ! Let's face it; there is nothing "traditional" about this set !
3 coats of SPAR urethane {light sanding in between, I recommend 220 paper} ...and she shines like real stained glass !!!
What other wood stain product could produce such vibrancy ?....none I have ever used !! But UNICORN SPiT, gleams like glass !!
It's going to be really difficult to part with this set ! ..I am hoping someone will appreciate her unique character, and one of a kind design as much as I do ! For more information regarding the products used in this project AS WELL AS CLASSROOM INFO ON TTHIS TECHNIQUE please visit : https://www.facebook.com/groups/713700455459414/