Asked on Jan 27, 2012

I have a brick retaining wall that is growing moss. Any suggestions for removing it? Cleansers, brushes, etc. Thanks.

Pam GoldstrohmLois Imbriano BarberDenise
+11

• Pressure wash could be a good solution for this. How old is the brick wall? If it is old and crumbly may not be a good solution.

• Mike and Anne

A stiff brush takes a lot of it off. A solution of ferrous ammonium sulfate sprayed on it will also help.

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

Home Depot has a granular product in its garden section to rid you of moss, but the more important thing is your wall is retaining moisture causing it to grow, so u may want to find a way to release it, I hv moss growing on my walls, but I kinda like it - gives the wall character

• Laura D

Wet N Forget. Google it, works great. Got mine from Costco.

• Ricardo B

I just love seeing moss on brick, especially if it's a retaining wall or pillar or anything that isn't part of the house. I say... let it grow and let it age; just like having a patina on copper... adds to the outdoor mood.

• LATOYA G

Thanks everyone! The wall is between my driveway and my neighbor's lawn. All the moisture comes from his front/side lawn. I want to be safe and considerate of his property. All of your input is greatly appreciated!!

• Becky H

Use a pressure washer with some chlorine bleach sprayed on afterwards.

• T D

Latoya, I too have used Wet n Forget for the past 2 years. The biggest problem is getting out the tank sprayer and getting it done! This product seems to last for the season.

• John Bittner

Spray with vinegar

• BS

I'm with Ricardo. I don't understand why you would want to get rid of it.

• Denise

Bleach, let sit. Scrape off with flat bladed knife or scraper, like putty knife or spackling blade.

• Lois Imbriano Barber

moss has no roots and will not harm a brick wall

• Pam Goldstrohm

I just finished pressure washing out 100+ year old stone wall that had beautiful moss on it and it took every bit of it off. I only used water so no chemicals were used.