Asked on Jan 27, 2012

want to plant a row of something between my yard and the neighbor's to add privacy. area gets full sun. any ideas?

Johnchip360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Douglas Hunt
+5

• Lin R

I have wanted to do the same and thought of bamboo, but I have read you have to plant it a certain way or it will take your yard over. But it grows fast and high so would be block them out fairly fast.

• Mike and Anne

Lin, I would not plant bamboo unless you hate your neighbor and want to cover the entire neighborhood with bamboo. Chris, for a hedging plant several to try are Burford Holly or Nellie Stevens Holly, Ligustrum, the Chinese junipers, English Laurel. Leyland cypress.

• Lin R

I agree with ya'll Mike & Anne. But I do love the look of it and how fast it grows. I read that you have to put it in some kind of boxes to keep it from spreading....but if you really had not so nice neighbors.....it might be a good idea.....LOL!

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

Bamboo is an excellent idea and if you use black bamboo it is a show stopper, I've heard it doesn't require any "boxing" because it isn't invasive, but u should research to be sure. But if it is needed, cedar boxes would look lovely or large terra cotta elongated containers would make it pop. Going. To use black bamboo around my sanctuary deck as a "curtain" from neighbors preying eyes when we're in jacuzzi, sauna or outdoor shower

Another plant for you to consider, Chris, especially if space is an issue, would be "Bright 'N Tight" cherry laurel.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

How much space do you want to devote to your screen? How tall does it need to be? There are screens ranging from 30ft tall and wide( Leyland, Yoshino Cryptomeria, Green Giant Arborvitea) to 15 ft tall by 5 feet wide ( Emerald Arborvitae, Sekkan Suj Cryptomeria) to 8ft by 8 ft (Cherry Laurels, Cleyera, Tea Olive). How much time to you want to devote to maintaining your screen? Some grow fast, some grow slow.

• Johnchip

I did forsythia, beautiful and within two to three years had a 8-10 foot hedge full of flowers in season and thick as could be. Very expensive. Started with spindly 4' tall plants about 4' apart.

• Johnchip

Unless you have a pet Panda bear, Bamboo is a nightmare, no matter what kind you use. It should be put into category of poison ivy and Virginia creeper.