Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Jan 27, 2012

OK you guys must be sick of me by now. I'm headed to Florida in February...YEAH. My bestie bought a house in Tampa

Sonia BurrowsPeace Painting Co., Inc.Amazing Improvements and Garages
+12

It has a concrete covered front patio. We want to repaint it. This is a project I've never done. I'm researching it now but thought I'd throw it out to you guys! Thanks a million
  • I love it that you are going to Florida, not sick of you yet! It's a different thing if you post pics of you on the beach. Here are some conversations about concrete floors - http://www.hometalk.com/?filter=painting+concrete+floors&search=posts

• Miriam I

No such thing, Donna! I shared this with Gary (Amazing Improvements) I won't pretend to know anything about concrete :)

• Donna McCrummen

Great talks - Thanks Yamini. You Do Not want to see a picture of me on the beach - trust me :-)

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Congrats for some warmer weather, especially this time of year. For the simple approach, if it has not been painted before, you can pressure wash it, and put two coats of a good quality 'paint store' patio paint or stain. And of course, post a pic! These days, I go to the beach at night. CP

• Donna McCrummen

It is already painted - I haven't see the house yet but my friend said it's peeling, etc. We have beach plans but during the day. LOL

• You cannot go. Its supposed to snow that week. Someone has to shovel so the kids can get out and go to school.

• We used the Sherwin Williams Deck paint and have been very happy with it on concrete.

• Post 2 Post Fence, Inc

The only problem we have with painted concrete is that it is really slippery when it rains!

• Allen

you can get special sand to mix with the paint

• Donna McCrummen

@Bob - The kids can walk to school - I'm outta here. @Post 2Post I think this patio is covered. I can't wait to get there.

• Scrape, sand and pressure wash at a minimum. Its best to lose all of the previous coatings... There is an interesting material sold at Ace hardware that combines concrete with latex exterior paint for a coating a diy'er can install. The concrete in it leaves an excellent anti-slip coating. It will need a water based sealer. They call it encore. We tried Deck Resore from Home Depot and would not use it on concrete at this point. (having poor appearance results). On a wood deck tho, its fine, IMHO...

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Restore also has a version made for concrete.

• Charles, I've been to the plant in Clarkston, same goop, different lable. Promise!

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

I do believe it. At least it stuck. I'll look at the Ace. It's nice these products are readily available now. CP

• Sonia Burrows

If you want to stain the concrete instead of painting you can google homemade concrete stain. I used iron sulfate (known as Copperas) available in plant nurseries. It's used to help yellowing plants regain a nice dark green color. It will turn concrete a rust/umber color. I bought a cheap pump sprayer to apply. I did a large 10 x 50 concrete patio for about $25. Check out http://www.stainedfloor.com/