Cardboard Sunburst Mirror

I made a sunburst mirror out of leftover cardboard boxes for less than $5.00!
I really like sunburst mirrors and think they have a classic style for any decor. I have wanted to make a DIY version for some time but hadn't found the inspiration to try one yet. Until I had these leftover cardboard boxes from Christmas purchases.
This project all started with these leftover boxes from a couple of Christmas present shipments. I usually take these to the recycling center, but thought that the larger of the two boxes was in such good shape and the right size for the idea I had been pondering for some time for a sunburst mirror project.
I purchased a 7 inch round plywood circle from Walmart for 99 cents to use as the template for the center of the mirror. I made a matching circle template for the back of the mirror out the cardboard.
Next I drew a petal design out of plain paper and created over 20 petals on the cardboard to cut out. This step took some time. I also created several half circle cutouts to be the first layer around the mirror circle.
I painted the cardboard petals in Waverly Chalk paint in Pool that I had also purchased at Walmart for another project in the master bath, but knew the color would work well in the master bedroom too. I attached the half circles and petals to the back of the plywood circle, also painted in Pool blue, using a hot glue gun.
After attaching all of the "petals" I glued on the cardboard circle to be able to add a Command strip to the back for easy hanging on the wall. The cardboard makes for a very lightweight sunburst mirror.
To give the front of the mirror some extra bling, I glued small 1 inch tile pieces from my craft supplies in varying shades of blue around the 5 inch mirror I purchased from Michael's for $2.99 and glued to the plywood circle.
I love how it looks in the room. With this design, you can actually create a sunburst mirror in any color to match any decor. And it all cost less than $5.00 to make!

Donna Powell

• Tina Hill

did you finish the edges so it wasn't apparent it was cardboard? i am doing a cardboard frame for a mirror and I don't want folks to know it is cardboard

• Donna Powell

Hey Tina. I dabbed paint along the edges to help hide the corrugated edges but I'm sure you can also add some small trim or ribbon to hide it even more.

• Joan

Same question. How did you hide the corrugated edges of the leaves?