DIY Industrial Wire Mail Baskets (from a $5 Cleaning Caddy!)

When I created my little office nook off the kitchen, I wanted some way to corral paperwork and sort mail so it wouldn't end up all over the kitchen counters. I pictured a set of industrial-looking wire baskets that I could mount against the wall, but it was hard to find anything slimline enough for this purpose - and the ones I did find were so expensive! So, I decided to make my own.
diy industrial wire mail baskets from a 5 cleaning caddy, crafts, home office, how to, organizing
I found these wire cleaning caddies for $5 from K-mart. Only problem? They looked... well, like cleaning caddies.

After a quick spray-paint in matte black, however, they looked a whole lot more classy!
Then I used hot glue to affix a little chalkboard sign to the front of the basket.
... and mounted them on the wall using a screw and washer that I also spray-painted black.
More details about the products I used for this simple little DIY can be found on my blog.
I'd love you to stop past and see how the finished office space came together!
Karen Schravemade

• Mmi18824713

Why do the first baskets have all 4 sides equal heights, but the ones mounted on the wall have shorter fro ts with slanted sides?

• Bonbon

Just what I needed to complete my basic command center. I also would like to purchase those attractive labels. Where did you find them? Thanks for sharing.

• Lorraine Thompson

Where do you buy these baskets.....? Kind of a silly question heh?

• Kay

I think Cheep as Chips, the Reject shop, Disount warehouses plus IKEA, all have the baskets. I have seen the little Chalk boards at Cheep as Chips, but I think they are a little smaller. I live in Australia. Kay Adelaide Australia

• Itsmemic

Looks awesome...but I use command hooks...I am in love with them... SO easy to use and strong !! Love the little office nook yu created..perfect !