painting concrete floors

I had to pull the carpet up in one of my bedrooms and I didnt know what to put down on the bare concrete floor, so it stayed concrete for a while. I eventually decided to use the room as an art studio and wanted to have a wood floor in there. I decided to put my trompe l'oiel knowledge to work and paint the concrete floor in a bamboo style similar to my bamboo floor in my living room and I love the way it turned out. People have to look twice or be told its painted. a true trompe l'oiel effect.
The beginning. Clean the concrete floor very well. Then paint the floor with 2 coats of Kilz water based sealer. Let it dry overnight. Next day streak entire floor with acrylic paint wood colors in one direction. I used bamboo tones.
Finished Floor. When paint streaks are dry, create the lines with a black permanent Sharpie pen that represent the boards. I did 6"x3' boards. stagger the boards approx 12" like wood floors. Darken a few boards for natural variation.
My Studio. When boards are to your liking and paint is dry, apply at least 4 coats of polyurethane over the entire floor. Let dry 3 days before putting furniture on it and 2 weeks before dragging across floor. Voila! You did it.

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Linda Fraine

• Barbara
    Barbara

Do you have pictures of you lining the planks? The line part of the project seems daunting to me.

• Angy
    Angy

I was fooled. You did a great job!
  • Linda Fraine
    Linda Fraine

Thank you so much. Since then , I have done another of my floors that fools my friends and neighbors:)
    , New hand painted floor This one is a little lighter than my last so it looks like a country pine floor