painting concrete floors

I had to pull the carpet up in one of my bedrooms and I didnt know what to put down on the bare concrete floor, so it stayed concrete for a while. I eventually decided to use the room as an art studio and wanted to have a wood floor in there. I decided to put my trompe l'oiel knowledge to work and paint the concrete floor in a bamboo style similar to my bamboo floor in my living room and I love the way it turned out. People have to look twice or be told its painted. a true trompe l'oiel effect.
The beginning. Clean the concrete floor very well. Then paint the floor with 2 coats of Kilz water based sealer. Let it dry overnight. Next day streak entire floor with acrylic paint wood colors in one direction. I used bamboo tones.
Finished Floor. When paint streaks are dry, create the lines with a black permanent Sharpie pen that represent the boards. I did 6"x3' boards. stagger the boards approx 12" like wood floors. Darken a few boards for natural variation.
My Studio. When boards are to your liking and paint is dry, apply at least 4 coats of polyurethane over the entire floor. Let dry 3 days before putting furniture on it and 2 weeks before dragging across floor. Voila! You did it.

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Linda Fraine

• Barbara

Do you have pictures of you lining the planks? The line part of the project seems daunting to me.

• Angy

I was fooled. You did a great job!
  • Linda Fraine

Thank you so much. Since then , I have done another of my floors that fools my friends and neighbors:)
    , New hand painted floor This one is a little lighter than my last so it looks like a country pine floor