Asked on Jan 28, 2012

I've got the dreaded... subsidence. There are two ways of re-leveling a house...

DonaSlabJack SolutionsWoodbridge Environmental

Answered way involves hydraulic pumps in series, slid under your foundation to level it, and then long sections of spikes, more or less, driven into the ground. The second is called "mudjacking" and I don't know how that works. How would I find a contractor to look at the problem and explain what to do?
4 answers
  • 3po3
    on Jan 28, 2012

    That's no good. Sorry to hear that. A couple of things. You might start with your homeowners' insurance. They may at least pay for a structural engineering study. Either way, it would be a good idea to get an engineer out there to study the site and figure out some overall solutions, including drainage and other long-term repairs. Eventually, you will likely work with a foundation contractor, but get a big picture look first.

  • You do not need a contractor yet. You need a structural engineer with a soils background. Let them tell you what you need to do to fix what ever your issue is. Then armed with this information you hire out contractors to bid on the solution that you paid a licensed engineer to solve. This way if the fix does not work, you can deal with the engineer on the issue. Not some contractor who only sells products that are supposed to fix something else that did not need fixing in first place.

  • SlabJack Solutions
    on Jan 30, 2012

    Google "Concrete Leveling" companys in your area, that should be a good start to understand the SlabJacking / MudJacking process. Feel free to check out my site as well there is alot of information on it that should answer alot of your questions as to our process. Good luck!

  • Dona
    on Sep 26, 2015

    I'm in California and, due to the drought, my house has been sinking slowly for a couple of years. Now the walls are cracking and doors won't open/close and fllors slope. The past 2 months I've been trying to find an engineer to come out and tell me what needs to be done. Last week 2 different companies responded and this morning I received their proposals. Wuphf!! It's a good thing I have a strong heart as one total was $42,000.00 and the other was $38,000.00 and no help from my homeownwers' insurance of course. They will be using jack system around the perimeter of the house along with several piers underneath. Good luck to you. You have my sympathy and my best wishes for success.

    • Sue Kiene
      on May 6, 2016

      @Dona Those bids are not unreasonable from what you are saying is wrong. The longer you wait to repair the problem, the more it will cost to repair and the more that will need repaired. Additionally as a Realtor, not doing the repair is affecting your resale $$$$$$$$. If you put it on the market, you would have to disclose all of this including what the contractors stated was wrong with the home. Lenders in my area would probably not be willing to lend on the home unless the loan was a renovation mortgage.

Your comment...