Asked on Jan 28, 2012

Antique mantel & fireplace surround - would you paint it?

JanDesigns by BSBKathie Barber
+57

I have been trying to sell this mantel and haven't had much luck (I probably just need to bring it to a consignment store). The lower half (fireplace surround) detaches, so the upper section can be used as stand alone. I was thinking about painting .. maybe with a chalk paint <?> to make it worth more. What do you think? Don't bother? What would you charge for it?
  • 3po3

I wouldn't paint it. I really like the look of natural wood. Seems to me that a consignment store might be your best bet. Somebody with pretty specific needs and tastes is going to want this thing, but the consignment store just ups the number of eyeballs on it, so your chances increase. No idea on the price.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

I'm with Steve. It looks like English Oak.

• I also would not paint it. Perhaps in your sale ad you can mention that you are willing to paint it the color chosen by the potential buyer.

• Harold M

Please Please do not paint it. I'm not an antique expert but generally when you paint something like this, it depreciates the value

• Designs by BSB

Clearly I was not thinking clearly! :-) Could not agree more when I step back .. Id be better off donating it than painting it! But I am going to check out that consignment store in Tucker soon!

• DanConnie S

shudder, shudder - paint a beautiful piece of wood like that? OK, you know where I stand. If the top comes off, maybe the top could be used to hang on a foyer wall just inside a door as a catch all for keys etc, with a mirror to check yourself over before you walked out the door?

• If it is a true antique, Harold is right. That will reduce the value of it. But, if you must, there may be an "in between solution". Just highlight the raised carved pieces to make them come alive. Then, let the beauty of the wood remain.

q antique mantel amp fireplace surround would you paint it, chalk paint, fireplaces mantels, painted furniture, Even though this mantel was PAINTED to look like wood the raised areas were high lighted to make them stand outq antique mantel amp fireplace surround would you paint it, chalk paint, fireplaces mantels, painted furniture, Close up of raised detailsq antique mantel amp fireplace surround would you paint it, chalk paint, fireplaces mantels, painted furniture, BEFORE
  • Donna McCrummen

I would paint - but then that's how I roll. I don't particularly like oak. If you think it's a true antique you should have it appraised then place it in a consignment shop or sell it at auction. AS chalk paint and wax will make it absolutely beautiful - it's funny all the guys say don't paint it.

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

DON'T PAINT!!!

• Designs by BSB

I don't like oak either.. but I believe this is English oak, and what I do agree with here is that painting would likely decrease its value. Ok if I was keeping.. but I want to just get rid of it! :)

• Amy B

I am an antique girl... no, don't paint it...I think it's beautiful. This could be repurposed as a headboard, vanity, coatrack... there are lots of other things that could be done with it, before painting it and losing the great patina of wood.

• Tonia Bozeman

This piece is one of the special pieces and is going to take a special buyer and all it takes is one, but finding one is going to be a difficult task. If you do go with a consignment shop be sure they specialize in this style/period of furniture or else it's just going to sit in their store.

• Designs by BSB

For the record.. my husband bought this piece over 20yrs ago for $1200. There is no denying it is an antique.. going to research local antique consignment shops next.

• Barbara

Send a picture to American pickers from TV or the Antiques people from public tv. Can't hurt

• Sue Scimeca

@Barbara I watch that show faithfully, and I don't think they would give her anywhere near what she paid for it... they always low ball prices because they resell everything to make a profit. They like to "find" stuff that is old and dirty and sitting in someones barn for years. IMHO I wouldn't paint it. Its just to beautiful the way it is. Tonia is right, look for someone who specializes in this type of pieces. Or, take it to a auction with a firm price for the lowest you'll take..

• Donna McCrummen

I've used two local auction houses here in Jersey they look at your pictures and information and give you an estimate for free. Everything being local you should check auction houses in your area. If it is valuable they may take it for auction. Also, look on Ebay for comparables. Google click images.

• Tuscan Stone Mantels

Paint will lower the value. This mantel is a turn of the century (not this one but the last one) piece and because of the style fits in a limited decor. A retrofit remodel with a Victorian motiff; a builder will snap it up. We build stone mantels and they are limited to price. You should be able to recoup price and 20 years storage.

• Barbara

BeckySue, I just saw a wanted antiques listed on the Raleigh/Durham Craigslist, check it out and you may get some ideas or bites. Good Luck!

• Merry D

If I were nearby, I'd love this piece in my living room, as is!

• Pauliegirl1

do u still have the piece? how much?

• Lab678681

I have an oak mantle similar to this, only more detailed, near Cleveland, ga. For sale right now. Email at

• Pauliegirl1

Laba....how much do u want for it??

• Patricia Mick

no paint will ruin it!

• Martin Finn

All I look at is the crumpled paper. I know that's not what you want,so maybe better pictures, but don't paint it, it's really beautiful. Someone doing a restoration will need it.

• Martha Grice

I'm a purist and I cringe when people take a beautiful piece, such as the one you have, and paint it. That, however, is my personal opinion. I love something like this in my own home, I can think of so many things I could do with it. When you settle on a price, give me a number, I may be interested, especially is we could let Fed Ex take care of shipping as I live in TN and am handicapped so travelling is a challenge. Let us know what you decide.

• Rosa cassidy

i wish i had a mantle like this , i like it , dont paint it

• Julie

Agree with previous posts. Get appraisal and go from there. No paint. Any identifying stamps/ID on the piece? Browse the internet for similar items to compare for pricing.

• Naomi Moore

I grew up in a house with two of these. I would love to have them.

• Lagree Wyndham

I have one very similar paid 1,500.00 for it, they were ask 2000.00, that was 12 years ago. Don't paint it looks awesome as is. I built my whole house around that piece, even made brick mason tear down the entire fireplace because it was to large...they failed to follow the plans. Mine had sticker on back, it was made in Nashville for a home in Vidalia GA.

• Karen

Given that it's an antique, and appropriate to so many southern homes (Georgia in particular) I would not touch it with paint. The person that needs it will find you.

• Alice Hughes Pace

Are you kidding? Please, don't even think about ruining this beatiful work of art with paint!

• Denise

Please don't paint this beauty! First and foremost, it will devalue the piece. We put an addition on our home and installed a gas fireplace. I searched 2 years for the perfect size oak mantle That would fit the surround. It's 8 ft tall, double mantle with original mirror. I lovingly refinished it to its original grandeur. Best purchase I ever made. Trust me, someone out there is looking to give this beauty a new home.

• Barb Schmidt

I would never paint wood this beautiful.

• Jan Hurta

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PAINT IT! It will devalue the piece considerably. And a purist like myself would offer much less because it would need to be stripped and re stained.

• Jo Ann Chewning Tomes

No! Lovely wood

• Cheri Tilton

Don't paint!! And between $1500.00 and $3000.00 depending on over all condition.

• Lainey Howell

Have it appraised by a professional. I think Cheri is in the ballpark for value. One rule of thumb: don't ever, ever paint a real antique. It spoils the character and the value. Sell it through a reputable antiques dealer.

• Sandra

No. I hope you haven't painted it. No only can it be a mantel and surround, but it could be a headboard. I can see it without the surround over a bathroom vanity or over a dining side board. Maybe, when you advertise it, you could add different ideas for its use. Some people don't have the imagination to see how it can be repurposed.

• Gladys

Furniture made of real all wood is becoming more scarce...translate more expensive. Even just a veneer with beautiful wood grain is worth restoration.

• VictoriaC

NO DON'T PAINT IT. IT IS beautiful like it is and someone is looking for it, to go perfectly in Their house. I too think C her I is right, and I don't know her, but I do know a bit about antiques. We have a HUGE PIECE OF ALL STAINED GLASS THAT IS REALLY, REALLY OLD. The Oak frame around it is so heavy it takes about 3-4 men to pick it up. We are going to have a appraiser come out and appraise so we don't sell it for less than it is worth.

• Susan Rawlings

While I think the detail in the wood would look great if painted, the wood really is beautiful.

• Scarlett

I would like to purchase it.....please contact me....scarlett.cross2020@4 results are available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate.gmail.com

• Linda Y

Please don't deface this beautiful antique, it's amazing how you can slot antique pieces into modern rooms and they look great. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find a perfect look to incorporate it.

• Char.

If I was close to you I would buy it. I would leave it alone. It is beatiful as is. U can decorate it IN any style.

• Harrie Gordon

No, no, no!

• Carole Watson

I agree, please do not paint or even clean aggressively. All will devalue by more than half. It is absolutely beautiful.
  • Sarah1955

Comment
    45
    COMMENTS
    Last reply5 hours ago
    DiscussionsPainted Furniture
    Designs by BSBHometalker

Comment
    45
    COMMENTS
    Last reply5 hours ago
    I have been trying to sell this mantel and haven't had much luck (I probably just need to bring it to a consignment store). The lower half (fireplace surround) detaches, so the upper section can be used as stand alone. I was thinking about painting .. maybe with a chalk paint to make it worth more. What do you think? Don't bother? What would you charge for it?

10 of 45 comments
    See Previous
    •  Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab Johnstown, COon Sep 22, 2015Yup!! 2 · Reply

•  Sandra Titusville, FLon Sep 23, 2015No. I hope you haven't painted it. No only can it be a mantel and surround, but it could be a headboard. I can see it without the surround over a bathroom vanity or over a dining side board. Maybe, when you advertise it, you could add different ideas for its use. Some people don't have the imagination to see how it can be repurposed. 3 · Reply

•  Gladys Lawrenceville, GAon Oct 18, 2015Furniture made of real all wood is becoming more scarce...translate more expensive. Even just a veneer with beautiful wood grain is worth restoration. 2 · Reply

•  VictoriaC Broomfield, COon Jan 18, 2016NO DON'T PAINT IT. IT IS beautiful like it is and someone is looking for it, to go perfectly in Their house. I too think C her I is right, and I don't know her, but I do know a bit about antiques. We have a HUGE PIECE OF ALL STAINED GLASS THAT IS REALLY, REALLY OLD. The Oak frame around it is so heavy it takes about 3-4 men to pick it up. We are going to have a appraiser come out and appraise so we don't sell it for less than it is worth. 3 · Reply

•  Susan Rawlings Avon, OHon Jan 20, 2016While I think the detail in the wood would look great if painted, the wood really is beautiful. 3 · Reply

Scarlett Dayton, OHon Jan 28, 2016I would like to purchase it.....please contact me...
  • Sarah1955

Comment
    45
    COMMENTS
    Last reply5 hours ago
    DiscussionsPainted Furniture
    Designs by BSBHometalker

Comment
    45
    COMMENTS
    Last reply5 hours ago

10 of 45 comments
    See Previous

• Non2498670

Did you sell this yet? I wish you deliver, I would love to have this beautiful mantel. I have an old fashion electric fire heater. (I love just turning the flames on and just watching it). So beautiful. And it would go great under the mantel. Wish I could afford this piece.
  • MK McDonald

No way! Now that's the woodwork everywhere in my parent's home! That piece looks almost exactly like the one from their den. I hope it never gets painted but who would tear off that piece from a fireplace?
  • Eroque022810

Don't paint contact your historical society to see if they can put you in contact with someone who has purchased a old home and is trying to find something like it. Make sure to have exact measurement and if not put on Craigslist with information. Go around your city and check out places that people are repairing that come from that time frame and talk to owners. But do not paint it most people who want this want it as is not painted in fact you would lower value if you paint it because then they have to strip it back and re stain.
  • Kathie Barber

I have been in antique business for many years and have been mgr of antique mall.
    I f you are in business, you have to take your heart out of the deal and look at it as the best way to profit. It is so sad that beautiful pieces like this have decreased so much in value. These are the facts--if you take it to a consignment shop -you will have to pay 40-50% of what they sell it for and they decrease price every 30 days.
    An auction is a big gamble. My friend sold hers (which was very beautiful and larger than yours-she paid $2500) at auction an it barely brought 300 and she had to pay a commission.. I think your mantle is beautiful and is probably from the
    1920's or 30's. The fact now is that painted furniture sells--all of the design and decorative books have white mantles. So, it hurts to make these decisions but it comes down to a business decision. You probably have already made a move on it by now but I just wanted to share this with you.
  • Designs by BSB

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.. and for reviving this post! Your opinion/view point has so much validity! I did not paint it, yet! I have it hung in my house and it just exists :) One day I may paint it and make money on it one day! For now .. I have bigger fish to fry.. hehe!
  • Jan

DO NOT PAINT IT!!!!! IT IS GORGEOUS!!!! AND IT WILL BE BACK IN VOGUE SOONER THAN YOU KNOW. FOLLOW THE ADVICE YOU'VE ALREADY RECEIVED PLUS I THINK YOU ALREADY HAVE SOME TAKERS!!!!