Buddy L
Buddy L
  • Raleigh, NC
Asked on Jan 29, 2012

streaks in paint on ceiling

DawnDiana DeileyPeace Painting Co., Inc.
+8

We had the popcorn taken off the ceiling and then primed. Now we have put several coats of Valspar ceiling white paint and every time it shows streaks. We just put on third coat and now it shows the overlap from rolling. We did the entire ceiling at one time. I have painted and touched up my ceiling before without any notice of streaks. Any idea what we should try? This a good size room 24X14. Any help would be appreciated
  • Buddy, what sheen of paint are you using? Is it flat paint or something like semi-gloss? Flat paint doesn't usually show lap marks. Semi-gloss miht if you don't keep your painted laps/edges wet.

• Are you letting the paint dry before you check for these streaks? Also if the ceiling is sagging down between the ceiling rafters could this be shadows being cast from lights? Lots of times if the ceiling sags the high and low spots are seen when a light fixture or light enters into the room. Take a ladder and stand with your head close to the ceiling. Then use a strong flashlight and shine it across the ceiling. Does the light hit smoothly or is there a bunch of low and high spots? Perhaps that is why they put the popcorn in to hide this exact issue.

• Ranae N

the stain cover that comes it a little tiny can did wonders for water stains in my old apartment

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

You should use a primer first before any ceiling paint. This will seal the surface, and with the right primer, block any stains that older sheetrock or previously damp sheetrock will have. Other than that, I like to go to a paint store for better quality material. CP

• Buddy L

I talked with the representative and tried another white paint.

• How did it go with the other paint Buddy?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

I see you did prime. When rolling ceilings I also like to use a 3/4 inch lambswool roller cover. This holds volumes of paint helping keep a wet edge and avoiding lap marks. CP

• Buddy L

The valspar hide all white wall paint did the trick, It even blended in with the other paint. Both were flat paint.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Alright. I'm glad to hear you overcame! Keep looking up (-;

• Diana Deiley

Here's my trick: paint the ceiling a flat LIGHT gray first in one direction, usually the length of the room. Let dry. Then using your ceiling paint, paint the width of the room (the shorter distance). Most stores will be more than willing to tint primer for their customers. I have also used Ace's high hiding white flat wall paint on my ceilings. Covers great. I'll try the Valspar paint next. :)

• Dawn

Also when painting never paint in straight lines. Always use a "w" stroke.that way you wont have the over lap lines.