Up cycled Tire Planter

Want a great conversation piece in your garden that will appeal to male and female alike? Try up cycling an old tire into an unexpected piece of art that is perfect in your back yard garden retreat. This eco-friendly conversation starter will add colour and charm to any outdoor space!
A balanced mix of Perennials and Annuals combine to make a unique "show stopper" design.
This Raised Tire Planter adds a quirky conversation piece to any garden for under $20
Step 1: Trim vintage table legs to a suitable height which will match the size of your tire
Step 2: Cut a plywood circle for a base and fasten table legs with screws.
Step 3: Securely fasten junk tire to base with long screws.
Step 4: Add soil. Choose a container mix suitable for Bedding Plants. Ensure that you fill the tire completely.
Step 5: Plant complimentary Perennials and Annuals for maximum texture and colour.
Step 6: Fill in with soil between the newly transplanted pots and water in generously.

Tamara Jansen

• Darchung

Where did you add the drain hole, in the tire or the chair?

• Charli Adams

seeping through the wood will eventually rot the wood unless you use weather treated wood

• Michelle Masterson

Why didn't you paint it? I Flipped mine inside out and cut jagged edges and painted mine 5 years ago - I wish I still had a picture.

• Michelle Masterson

• Penny O'Brien

I like hers the way it is. I don't care for the way you suggested.

• #1 Jeeter

I have turned many tires to use for feeders and even waterers for pets, the tires are so much easier to attach to a board once they are turned and they are also more attractive. You cut at least two to three inches off one side. The ply of tire will make a difference in the work out you get while turning the tire!

• Foxy grandma
    20 minutes ago

I did this several years ago to upgrade my new "zero landscape" yard... however because of the extreme heat caused by all of the rock the tires were too hot for the plants.. they looked great in the winter when I put small artificial Christmas trees in them.. Could use fake flowers for summer add a couple of solar lights for night.