Douglas Hunt
Douglas Hunt
  • New Smyrna Beach, FL

My garden's got the blues (and purples)

I am loving all the blues and purples going in my garden right now. As temperatures quickly heat up in Florida, I'm hoping these hues will help keep things cool.
Plumbago auriculata is one of the rare real true blues for the garden. (Hardy to zone 8B.)
A mystery salvia sold to my local nursery as Salvia nemorosa 'May Night,' which it is not. This plant is a much lower grower.
Blooms on culinary salvia, Salvia officinalis.
The society garlic (Tulbaghia violacea) has just started blooming and should do so through fall. (Hardy to zone 7.)
Verbena bonariensis "Lollipop" grows to half the height of the standard verbena and is an absolute butterfly magnet in my garden.

• Jay

Nope never! :)

• Charmina

The picture is stunning Douglas! It is my dream to one day have our little screened porch, covered in such lovely flowers. We live at the Lake of the Ozarks and I've been told that the soil is Rocky and hard to grow things in. We recently moved here from San Diego where almost everything grew but water was scarce. Now we're here, near water and I'm not doing very good growing flowers.is it possible to grow these flowers in a container and train them to grow up and around the patio? Thanks in advance Douglas!!