Easy Way To Breathe New Life Into An Old Piece

About a year ago, my grandma downsized her house and gave me a boat load of furniture. This piece sure didn't scream "gorgeous" to me, but I just don't say no to my Nana.
I brought this guy home, where it sat for over a year, waiting for inspiration. I entered a contest in January, the purpose of which was to give an existing piece of furniture a "Fresh Start" using General Finishes Chalk Paint.
The first step was to remove all the hardware and prime with my favorite bullet proof primer. I know painted furniture isn't for everyone, and I respect that. Just as wood furniture isn't for me - especially when it's a cheapie veneer like this one. Thank goodness we're all different!
After priming, I used General Finishes Chalk Style paint to brighten up these detail spots. This was a labor of love - paint the blue. Smear blue on the white. Touch up the white, smear white on the blue. Wash, rinse, repeat.
The old hardware is on the left. I really love gilding everything I can get my hands on, and this hardware was no exception. Plus the bright shiny gold with that midnight blue - yum!
Added a bit more gold to tie everything together.
All done! I'm absolutely in LOVE with this little cabinet now. And the best part? I showed my Nana the final photos and she gave her stamp of approval, saying she loved what I did - that's the best result I could have asked for.

Cupcakes&Crowbars

• Penny-Marie

why did you use chalk paint? I can't see any way it would be used for chalk.

• Ginger

I have an antique wood desk with leather on top and one corner of the leather is unglued and sticking up. How can I refinish this with the rest of the wood?

• Heje

You are one talented lady! I can see where there was do and do again. Thanks for sharing the Rustoleum gold metallic paint that enhances your piece. Love It!

• Loretta

I’d never thought to add the gold. The gold really gave it that “wow” it’s beautiful. I hope you won the chalk contest!

• Joan

Hi