Pat C
Pat C
  • Elk Grove Village, IL
Asked on Jan 30, 2012

What options do I have for finishing the open end of a wallpapered backsplash?

Amy Beth VanMaldegen-GlassYamini LEED AP at UrbanmotifsWallsTreat Studio/ Kass Wilson
+1

Realizing I won't be able to tile my kitchen backsplash after all, I found some reasonably priced textured, paintable wall paper at my local home improvement store. It has textured vertical lines which I think will add visual interest to the kitchen backsplash. I plan to paint and seal the wallpaper once it's on the wall.
The wallpaper will extend beyond the cabinet and stove perimeters, so I will need to finish off the edge with a trim of some sort. ( Even if I chose to end the wall paper where the cabinet and stove ends, I still need to provide a finished edge of some sort to the wallpaper.)
Any unique ideas how to finish the edges of the wallpaper?
The home improvement store suggested painted wood trim - not certain about that. Most of the trim I've seen would compete with the paper or just look homemade.
Thanks for your help.
  • Designs by BSB

I would suggest a really small piece of trim - I would call it a batten or scribe (less than 3/4" wide x 1/4" thick at best) As for finish - I would paint or stain it a color that is pulled from the wall paper - make it disappear!

• A small piece of half round can be painted to appear like a rolled edge tile.

• Try any of the trims from home depot and as Kass said you could paint it the colors from the wall paper to blend in.

• Amy Beth VanMaldegen-Glass

I know this sounds strange, but I used furniture brads spaced about an inch apart. You can paint them to pull out a color from your kitchen or leave them metal. I love the look and get lots of compliments.