Jayme
Jayme
  • Bellaire, MI
Asked on Apr 20, 2013

Help with roses!!

JaymeDouglas Hunt

I have never grown roses before and my hubby got me a few for my birthday last month. I currently have them in the house because the weather here in "Beautiful Northern MIchigan". One of the rose bushes took right off, but soon the leaves started to curl. I thought that it may be root bound, so I transplanted it, but the leaves are still curling. Now I think that I may have over watered it.
help with roses, gardening
help with roses, gardening
help with roses, gardening

Jayme, it is almost impossible to grow roses indoors. Those plants were meant to be planted outside. They're sold dormant to go in the ground as soon as it can be worked, and to then begin growing as soon as they get the signal from mother nature. Your house doesn't have enough light or humidity. Your best chance is to get them outside and in the ground as soon as possible, but they now have all this tender young foliage that has made them more susceptible to cold. You may need to take them out during the day and bring them in at night for a while to acclimate them.

• Jayme

Thanks so much Doug. I probably should have just left them in my garage until I could plant them out. Today is our first "nice" day, we reached 59 today. It is still getting below 30 at night time, but I will try to get them outside to acclimate them.