Michael
Michael
  • Monticello, GA
Asked on Apr 20, 2013

Pesky little red ants in raised beds

Louise Gasiorowski-Cole MbcJudith FShari
+2

Built a couple of raised bed gardens. Here in the south, we have these pesky little red ants, and they have taken a liking to the raised beds. Since these are vegetable gardens, I'm trying to stay as organic as possible, within reason. Anyone know of a kinda organic control for these little jokers.
  • Janet Flannery

I read about mixing equal parts of sugar and borax together. Haven't tried it, but I'm going to for sure....I have the same problem.

Unless they're red fire ants, I think I'd be inclined to be happy to have ants in my garden. If they're fire ants, pouring boiling water on the mounds is pretty effective. For other organic controls, see this comprehensive article from North Carolina Cooperative Extension: http://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms-fireants/

• Shari

Just within the last 24 hours I heard about 2 things that supposedly kill the red fire ants even better than the commercial insecticides: 1. dry grits--reportedly the ants eat it and then "moisture makes it swell in their stomachs," killing them and 2. dry cornmeal--they "can't digest it." Don't know if either of these methods really work but it certainly couldn't hurt to try it, especially since most of us southerners have either grits and/or cornmeal already in our pantry.

• Judith F

I recently read that pouring ginger ale on the mound will kill the queen Bee!

• Louise Gasiorowski-Cole Mbc

Borax and sugar water soked up with a cotton ball in the areas you see them the most will end your problem... don't put them near food