Asked on Jan 25, 2016

Old desk with hard rubber top needs help

RedcatcecDonnaYol32806149
+14

I have a very old desk that is in great condition except for the top. It is that old, hard rubber and it has a lot of dings and gashes (for lack of a better term). I have tried to fill some in with filler and it doesn't work. It can't be removed as it would damage the desk. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Janet Pizaro

What type of filler did you use?

• Margaret
    Margaret

How about redoing the top with chalk paint?

• Samistic
    Samistic

My Hubby made a new top for a desk that had a crack across the top. He applied the new top using would glue and finishing nails.

• Callie
    Callie

I've tried wood filler (even though it's not wood), I've tried to sand it as well.

• Callie
    Callie

I'm afraid that is what I'm going to have to do. Thanks.

• Moxie
    Moxie

I wonder if you could get the rubber top to release from the wood by applyinf heat with a hair dryer?

• Callie
      Callie

I doubt it because it is really well done but worth a try. Thanks.

• Margaret
    Margaret

Well OK - how about a very thin piece of plywood to cover the entire top of the desk, add a nice trim to it and paint that?

• MN Mom
    MN Mom

How about purchasing a piece of faux leather and trimming it to the size of the desk top and the having a piece of glass cut to layer on top of that. You would then have a custom leather top desk and it would be protected from future damage.

• Keemee
    Keemee

Have you thought about vaneer?

• Lreg
    Lreg

I think you could use a filler like what they use on solid surface counters. Or perhaps use Bondo. I have a desk that I needed the top to be bigger. My DH made a top and then used leather mat board. No glass needed. Trimmed it with cherry. Looks good, isn't cold like glass. I had that previously and hated it.

• Sheila
    Sheila

take the top off and flip it over, then refinish the new "top"

• Yol32806149
    Yol32806149

Leave it the way it is. Those desks are AWESOME. Can't get them anymore. I have one myself. Took all that crud these people are suggesting off the top with no idea what i'd find underneath and STRUCK GOLD.
  • Donna
    Donna

So how do you actually care for your rubber top desk. I love mine, but lately it is sticky and absorbs everything. Can you help? Can you date this desk?

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

I think the idea by MN Mom is a good one, very impressive to have a leather topped desk, you could match it to your decor, maybe even decorate the edges of it.