The Easiest Way to Create Unique Chalk Painted Furniture

$0

I wanted to share what I call the Alexander Method, which I named after me, since I have never seen it used anywhere before. I think it is the easiest way to create a really unique look on painted furniture pieces!
I started painting with this method due to the fact that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and the normal small brushes usually used in furniture painting make my hands cramp.
I start with a large brush like this - it makes the painting quick and easy!
Then I pick out my pallet of colors for the look that I am trying to create on my piece. Aren't these colors fun? I make four little areas close to one another on a painting tarp.
Next, you dip the brush into the four colors like this!
The brush soaks up all four colors at once!
Next I paint the piece like this....
Making sure to create the pattern I want with the colors I have chosen, like this! Isn't that cool?
It's so easy. You blend it by going over it lightly.
You can combine any pallet of colors to get the effect that you want - imagine light blues and whites/creams - for a heavenly blend of the colors of the sky? Or red, yellow and orange in the colors of the sunset? Greens, blues and whites for a landscape? You could use this technique to create a great weathered look with greys, blacks, and whites! It's too easy and makes painting a breeze!
I would love to see what you all create when you blend your own color pallets! To see more of my work, you can follow me on my Facebook page listed below! Happy Painting!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/Smiles-and-Styles-Dr-Gwen-Alexander-1519931358262454/photos_stream

• Shelley Collison

I love it. I am going to try thst when I find the perfect piece. What kind of paint did you use?

• Jan

See the second pic in the post, a can of paint is in the pic. I had to look thru twice before I saw it.
    • Kathy Wheeler Coomes

Look just a bit above your question. It lists the suggested paint.

• Joni

We do this technique to paint faux wood using acrylic paint to paint pictures. It's actually common for painting with acrylics but you made it look great on furniture. I will definelty try it I never even thought about doing this to furniture so thank you.

• Karen V

I can't use a brush at all due to my disability so I am commenting to say Good for you that you made beauty in a way you can!!! Many times, I have heard people say "Oh I could never do that". Well while you may not be able to do everything, do what you can in whatever way you can! Thanks for sharing!! LOVE IT!

• Thanks for this post. I also have RA and about to take on my first big project! I think my wrist are feeling better just thinking about this! When not doing stripes, how do you meld the color together?

• Ann J. Moore

Did you sand your pieces before you painted them!

• Rachel

You don't need to with Chalk Paint, but if you wanted to key the surface a little with a light sand it wouldn't harm anything - good luck!

• Laura Bordonaro

I love your color choice, looks Awesome n I have a table I was getting ready to do. Did you sand it first? 🙂

• Lin32903815

Looks great, did u sand it 1st r can u just paint over any w/o sanding looks beautiful I'm going to try it

• Ram33991306

I also deal with chronic pain, not fun! I'm wondering what clean up is like? I have worked with different kinds of paint & I know some can take more work cleaning up than painting! But I don't much about this chalk-type paint. Is it a easy clean up? BTW, loved your table! And the idea! Thanks for sharing!

• Lisa House

Chalk paint is quite easy to clean up with soap and water. I imagine a home made chalk paint would take more effort to clean up. I use Dawn dish soap and water to clean my brushes, I live with osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia.

• Joan Deal

Please advise Dr poor and surgeries tited! I have leftover wall paint satin can I use this?? Or add something to make what I have better. I want a border above windows in sun room, help please advise💕🤗

• Barb

I've read that you can add baking soda to paint and it will be like chalk paint. Do an internet search for "homemade chalk paint" or do the same search on this hometalk site. Calcium carbonate is another thing that you can add to paint. The search results will give you the ratio of each ingredient. Good Luck.

• Joan Deal

Please read my help request! I'm a little tired. I need a cheer up 💕

• Theresa

This is super awesome!! I just love it !! Will give it a try on something in the near future. Thanks for sharing !!