Patina Paradise
Patina Paradise
  • Cullman, AL

Empire Desk in Midnight Blue ~ Paint is an Option!

As part of this month's Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest, participants were able to chose a quart of General Finishes new "Chalk Style Paint" to give our projects a "Fresh Start". So when I found this desk with lovely scroll legs, I saw past the peeling wood veneer and knew that paint could give it a new and fresh lease on life…
empire desk in midnight blue it s my furniture and i ll paint iif i, chalk paint, painted furniture
Here is how it looks now... but it didn't look this way when I bought it...
This is what it started out as. Now please don't tell me that I should have refinished it... I don't do chemicals and I didn't have the money to have it refinished, I decided that paint was the way to go. Hey Europeans have been painting furniture for centuries... and I'm European so paint was my first choice...
I chose a deep dark navy called "Midnight Blue" that reminds me of new denim. I changed the knobs to decorative white porcelain ones that remind me of a crisp white cotton shirt. I think they compliment the dark blue.The inside was painted with the same blue and the little drawer was left the original color and finish. I wanted to keep is simple... and wanted the scroll legs to stand out.
And just so that you can see the difference here is the before and after. So remember peeling veneer doesn't mean you have to refinish or replace it. Paint is an affordable option for giving it a second chance.
Patina Paradise