Oil Drum Up Cycle -

This adorable duo is a real eye catching container garden project that just makes you want to smile, even when it's raining! Just 2 old oil drums, 2 umbrellas, latex paint, styrofoam, soil and some hanging baskets are what you need to complete it.
Cute container gardens that are sure to catch the eye.
Step One: Buy 2 umbrellas with the colors of your choice. Match your paint at your local hardware store to ensure a perfect result. 1 quart per colour will do the trick.
Step 2: Paint several coats of latex paint to cover.
Step 3: Sketch your face on the drum with pencil. Paint your details using a good artist brush and acrylic craft paint.
Step 4: Fill the bottom of the drum with styrofoam and top up with good quality container garden soil mix.
Step 5: Plant each barrel with 3 - 12" mixed hanging baskets per drum. Fill in with soil. Add 2 cups of Slow Release Fertilizer and water well.
Ensure that you secure your umbrellas so they do not blow away on a windy day!
Tamara Jansen

• Donna

Love this idea! I copied the steps so maybe I can make them next Spring. Where do I buy oil drums like this though?

• Wendy

wondering if galvanized garbage cans will work at well? This is a cute project that I would like to try.

• Anne Wolowiec

What do you use to secure the umbrellas?

• Kelly-n-Tony

This project has been on my to-do list for years! Glad to see someone did it!

• MaryAnn B

Good idea Wendy. I think anything galvanized would work and they can be purchased at any feed or farm store in so many sizes. I just picked up some galvanized cherry picking buckets, that should do the trick for me. Then I could hang them like a hanging basket.