Silverware Tray Turned Jewelry Display

$4

Scratched up wooden silverware trays- the organizer inserts for your kitchen drawers- are a mainstay at thrift shops and are easy to repurpose as jewelry organizers.
Find the full DIY tutorial HERE!
silverware tray turned jewelry display, crafts, organizing, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas, wall decor
Beat up from the knives and forks it once held, this flatware tray is ready to for a repurpose, don't you think? I just love wooden items from the thrift store- they hold so much possibility and are easily transformed.
After wiping it down, I gave it a quick coat of paint. I like to think of paint as a way to "seal off" its previous life!
To add a little panache, I tried my hand at a few stencils- I just love the combo of jade green and gold. I also added a few hooks for my hanging jewelry. Find the full DIY tutorial HERE!
And then I added in a few pieces of jewelry- necklaces hung on the hooks, and then rings, earrings, boxed jewels, and brooches tucked away on the little divider "shelves".
Isn't it pretty? I would obviously need a few more of these to hold all my pieces, but this would be great in a dorm room or an efficient apartment- definitely perfect for a small space!

• Cutlery divider  (Thrift Store)
  • Paint  (Home Improvement or Craft Store)
  • Hooks  (Home Improvement Store)
Sadie Seasongoods

• Zaida A. Inzeo

Is that an Artone bone china brooch? I like this beautiful idea, I may copy it.

• Sadie Seasongoods

Isn't it lovely, Zaida? On the back, it says "Cara China, Staffordshire, Made in England". I found it for cheap at a local animal-charity thrift shop!

• Brandy Williford Brock

How did you go about hanging it on the wall?

• Patsy

Last, but not least, I needed to add a hanging mechanism! Because I had one in my garage, I added a D-ring hanger to the back. But other hardware- such as a sawtooth hanger or hanging wire- would have worked just fine, too.

• Teresa Schoolfield

Can you use plastic silverware tray

• Sadie Seasongoods

Well, you certainly could, but you wouldn't be able to use the screw-in cup hooks; the plastic sides would be so thin that the screw end will poke through and not be held solidly in place. But I suppose you could use the smallest possible stick-on Command hooks.