Cut a "pass Through Window" in Your Wall With Less Mess!

322K Views
While our renovations were taking place this summer, I, like most normal breathing women, did not want drywall dust in every nook and cranny in my house. So when we cut out this little "window" between our kitchen wall and sunroom/eating area, I had an idea on how to keep the dust to a minimal and it surprisingly worked out pretty well! Maybe some of you already know this trick, but if you don't - hope you can use it!
Time: 1 DaysCost: $15Difficulty: Medium
  • cut a pass through window in your wall with less mess, diy, home improvement, kitchen design
How about first things first though. A peek at what we STARTED with! Oh heaven help us. Yes, that is brown flowered wallpaper on the walls AND ceilings.
You can see where we took that wall and doorway down to a table height and put on a salvaged barnwood breakfast bar here: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2015/10/not-your-average-barn-wood-table-its.html
So here's the trick. While the sawzall operator is on one side cutting through the drywall, have someone else stand on the other side with a shop vac right directly under the blade. It sounds a tad dangerous but if you remain totally alert and the person on the other side isn't a psycho with power tools, it's quite easy. Pretty much all of the dust that would normally be flying all around your house and landing in your boxes of cereal gets instantly sucked up and lands in the shop vac instead. I just had to make sure to stay super close with the shop vac hose to where the blade was cutting.
Set down the shop vac and help lift out that piece of drywall - WHAT A SATISFYING FEELING! And Let that extra light shine in!
We trimmed out our window with 1x6 boards (nothing fancy because we were going for a rustic look in the sunroom) and painted it white. I love being able to stand at my stove and see into our eating area. Just that tad bit of "openness" makes a big difference!
Like that exposed brick wall you see there? It was actually a surprise - Read more about that here: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2015/09/exposing-backside-of-chimney.html
And after we cut out that "window" we got even more daring and cut out a doorway (next to those bricks you see) between the sunroom and family room. Check that project out here: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2016/01/a-daring-doorway-cut-in-wall-opening-up.html

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 8, 2018 10:15 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Kammy's Korner