Terri J
Terri J
  • Annapolis, MD
Asked on Feb 1, 2012

I was told that if you waited to long to plant your spring bulbs, you could pt them in the refigerator to make them go

Terri JDouglas HuntFlowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
+14

thru a "cold" spell as though they were out side. Does anyone know if this really works and for how long you should have them in your refrigerator before planting?
  • Ricardo B

Yes! And think freezer...

• Terri J

I need a clarification about a response such as how long do you leave them in your refrigerator or freezer? At least I know that I am on the right track thanks!

• Bonnie

Gosh, sorry....I just noticed the original date you posted...it popped up with the new posts, so didn't really pay attention to the date!

Terri, first, check to make sure your bulbs are still firm and plump. Then, if it is as mild in Pennsylvania as it is in the rest of the country, and you can get a shovel in the ground, I would plant those bulbs outside. Pronto. If not, put them in the fridge, not the freezer, loosely wrapped in newspaper and away from apples or other fruit. Leave them there for at least six weeks, preferable eight, before planting them outside. Or then pot them up and force them indoors.

• Walter Reeves

Do not put them in the freezer. Only refrigerator cold is necessary....and then only in the very warmest climates. It's far preferable to plant them outdoors for natural cycles of chilling.

• Ricardo B

I'm stepping back on my comment and rethinking. A very long time ago in a state, far, far away (New Mexico) my elders put their bulbs in that very cold place when the winters were so mild that thermometer didn't dip below freezing. If they didn't the bulbs wouldn't come up. I guess living here in Georgia... I'll need to reset my mind-set! Thanks, guys.

• We're by no means experts on this, but being Georgia residents and late planters, we had heard this advice as well. Pretty sure our bulbs must have spent way too long in the freezer...Not a single one of them ever grew.

• Erica Glasener

I would plant them outside ASAP. They may not bloom (probably not) for at least a year but then you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Clara R

Where in Atlanta is your garden? My daughter who live in Ky. comes to visit me every spring and while she is here we like to visit gardens in and around Atlanta,

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

The ones I don't get to I put in my basement frig veggie draw, I've kept them to next season, and just plant them then. As Douglas said make sure they are still plump and firm.

• Terri J

The majority of people have said to get them into the refrigerator, empty vegetable/fruit drawer and leave them for 6-8 weeks. That is where they are heading! I have nothing to lose except for a few left over bubls from last year, and now I know for the rest of seasons to come! Thank you everyone who particpated in this question.

• Really, you can still plant them. Sometimes they will come up this year andyou will be the envy of the neighbors. They will ask you where to buy the special late bloomers. I likw what Erica said, get them in the soil for a natural environment. They store energy in the leaves for next season's blooms. That is why the most likely will not bloom this year.

• Terri J

Thank you for helping me to better undersand Erica's commment! I am a beginner at gardening, so I am sur I will have lotss of questions!

Ask away, Terri! In the ground is definitely better than in the fridge.

• Terri J

The questions will come as I sttart trying to do different things. Don't worry about that! I just appreciate your willingness to help all of us.