How To Make Storage Bench Seating!

I solved most of my seating and storage dilemmas with these two storage benches. They are basically two long plywood boxes with pinewood wrapped around them and lids fitted to the top.
I made lids for these using plywood and pinewood. The pinewood is glued to the plywood box and screwed in the the inside of the box.
I cut everything first and then assembled these boxes leaving the backs off, because I needed arm room to screw the pinewood onto the front from inside of the box. Each piece of pinewood got wood glued to the front of the box and four screws from inside of the box. I countersunk all of the screws inside the box and then used wood putty to fill in the holes.
Here I am building the second box out of plywood.
I painted the inside of the boxes red and stained the outside brown. I filled in the screw holes on the inside with wood putty and then I sanded them smooth. The red paint makes them completely unnoticeable. I ended up cutting another piece of wood for the back that sat on top of the baseboards. I wanted these boxes to be flush with the wall.
I cut some trim to go around the bench and painted it with black chalk paint.

• Azz Paty

Can I do this for benches on the terrace? If so what kind of wood do I need for a very hot scorching summers and maybe wet winter?

• Bev

My daughter has a similar look by using her grandmother's Lane cedar/hope chest.... it's a very practical solution to both storage AND seating! You did a fantastic job!

• Ella

do you lay top on or are there hinges

• Bev

I built window seats for my kitchen and put hinges on the lids (it has three compartments) and I love it! BUT, make sure you include 'lid support hinges'..... it's not fun trying to hold up the lid while looking around inside! Some of us learn the hard way.

• Linda Abate

You have not only added more seating and storage, but also created a beautiful piece of furniture. GREAT JOB.

• Lynne

you always have such awesome projects. love the bench