Liza D
Liza D
  • Detroit, MI
Asked on Feb 1, 2012

Can I paint/reglaze my bath room tile my self?

Liza DAK Complete Home RenovationsPeace Painting Co., Inc.

My bath room has the original tile (pink & light blue) from 1939. I have been doing some updates in the home but can't afford to totally redo the bath room right now. I found products on line (do it yourself kits) for reglazing but am wondering on the quality of the product compaired to having a professional doing it. Does any know if it is worth spending the extra money having it professionally reglazed or are the do-it-yourself products just as good?
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Liza, if it were the tub, I'd say no, but with a tile wall, you can do it yourself. The paint works well, it's just not as hard as the tile. Only follow the directions carefully, especially the cleaning and prep parts. A pro would spray it on but you can get almost as nice of a finish with the right little roller. I have seen novices do this and it turn out fine. There are even some good non-toxic coatings available now. Best, Charles

• Great advice, Charles. We have to agree much of the success of a project lies before you actually begin. Prep prep prep! =)

• Liza D

Thanks for your help. I'll update on how it turns out.