Asked on Jan 27, 2016

Need ideas for a backsplash for a center island sink

Penny Martin JacksonShannon DaleyFirouzbakht
+42

I have my sink in my center island/ bar of the kitchen. I am trying to figure out a way to add a backsplash to the sink so that the counter of the bar doesn't get wet when the water is on.
Backsplash
  • Debi53
    Debi53

I have the exact faucet and sink that you are showing except mine is not in an island. Honestly I wish I did not have a backsplash right behind my faucet because it is constantly wet and dirty and is difficult to clean around because there is so little room between my faucet and the backsplash. If you install a backsplash, you will still have water around your faucet, but you won't be able to clean the area or mop up the water as easily. I know this doesn't answer your question, but just wanted to give you the other side of the issue. At least now you can easily mop up the water and clean the area.

• Lynn
    Lynn

I agree with debi. and i think it would ruin the look of the nice open space. which is kind of the point of this style. in this situation, less would be more.

Janet Pizaro

Adding a backsplash will distort your look in the kitchen.

• Jan Beaver
    Jan Beaver

Keep a pretty dish towel or something similar there behind the faucet to catch to splashes. You can change it out often when it gets wet. Great opportunity to show off some of those pretty dish towels out there. You can fold it nicely and even set a small plant on it if you have to have something to 'hold' down the towel.

• Rus1058682
    Rus1058682

I agree with Janet.. But then, I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want that type of setup.. The countertop looks great though..

• Jilene Williams
    Jilene Williams

Place a fresh kitchen towel folded length wise in the area you are considering the backslash to manage the water problem while your sink is in use. Easy to keep clean and keep the great look of your counter.

• Mandy Brown
    Mandy Brown

You could always lay an old hand towel or dish cloth back there when using the sink to absorb the water then wring it out and either let it hang dry to use again or toss in the laundry. Every time I have an old bath towel that's ready to retire I cut it into smaller pieces and keep them to use for cleaning or whatever. Same for old t-shirts.

• Tonia
    Tonia

I think your should think about a removable backsplash. Build a thin box that you can tile or some similar water proof product. When you are going to be doing dishes place it on the counter and when you are done just put it away. This is a nice lay out for people who like to entertain and don't want to be left out of the converstation.

• Kristy Champion
    Kristy Champion

I have the "normal" sink setup (not island) with tile backsplash. I confess I'm pretty aggressive with the water. I often turn it on full-blast and water goes everywhere. I'm constantly wiping up around my sink, faucet, backsplash, so I'm proof that a backsplash won't keep the water where it should be! ;-) I've learned just to keep the water pressure low and be careful with my hands when I'm rinsing dishes....not sling water everywhere. Looks like you have the pull-down faucet head, so maybe just work on technique instead of modifying the countertop.

• Sea3328407
    Sea3328407

Consider changing your faucet to eliminate the spray problem.

• STORM COSBY
    STORM COSBY

How about glass blocks? They come different thicknesses and sizes. So you could have it the height you want.

• LD
    LD

If you install a backsplash to this island your going to take away the reason/use of it, which is to have a wide open space for food prep and/or serving area. You need to change your faucet, so you have a sprayer/steady water stream faucet which can be pulled down. When I updated my kitchen, I installed the Cassidy Delta Faucet non touch, and it has greatly eliminated the water spray issues.

, This model Cassidy from Delta Faucet is available in different finishes and has two options for operating touch and non touch
  • Rosemary D.
    Rosemary D.

I would put in a lower faucet..

• Synthia
    Synthia

I do have a sprayer/steady faucet that can be pulled down. You just can't turn the water up too high without getting some backsplash on the counter behind the faucet.

• Pat
    Pat

I think a lower type faucet would do the trick. Looks like your faucet spout is way too high and I imagine it does splash.

• Mcgypsy9
    Mcgypsy9

I don't think it's your faucet. I think you sinks are too shallow. I like the idea that Story Cosby above mentioned with the glass blocks. You could also use square short vases and adhere them right to the countertop with liquid sealant. Then you could add different flowers or plants to them.

• Ann
    Ann

This might not work for you but you could adjust the cutoff valves (under the sink) so that your water pressure is lower. In doing this you will not have to be as careful about turning the water on high and splashing it everywhere. I had a back flush toilet and sink with a smaller-than-I-realized bowl installed in our laundry room (see picture). I had to turn the cutoff valves almost off because of the high water pressure and subsequent splashing on the wall. Also, if you ever remodel perhaps you could have the sink moved over (centered) and the bar made wider. But your granite looks great and I wish I didn't have a backsplash to clean. Good Luck.

, Pool powder room sink in corner of laundry room
  • Donna
    Donna

Unless you have so much water splash that it's running all over the bar, why not just wipe it up when you're finished?

• Synthia
    Synthia

If someone is sitting at the bar stool, I don't want it to splash water on them or their laptop when it is sitting there with them.

• Synthia
    Synthia

I am just looking for a creative idea that I could put an edge around the back of the sink that would be decorative and help keep the water back. My faucet spout does pull down from the arm.

• Synthia
    Synthia

Our only problem is people always like to sit at the barstools right behind the faucet and sometimes they have a plate, lap top or something else in front of them. I always have to ask, "can you please scoot over to another chair?"

• Kristen
      Kristen

I hear you girl! I am reading this looking for the same thing! My sink is 10” deep and I need my high powered sprayer to clean the gunk faster. The other day I flooded my entire bar because I was loading the dishwasher and was softening some yuck in a lid. I didn’t notice the lid tipped and water was splashing out like a garden hose alllll over. Anyways...I do like the glass planter idea, silicone them behind the faucet and keep pretty flowers or decorative rocks/candles in them?

• Ranger
    Ranger

I think I'd just move the seats further down the bench and keep that area behind the taps as part of the food prep/dish stack area. I have a friend with the same sink layout, 1) sitting behind the sink we have never been splashed; and 2) I would never have anything electrical near a water source. There is plenty of bench space on the other side for a laptop.

• Rhonda Irby Bailey
    Rhonda Irby Bailey

This only took a couple of hours to do by myself.

, I used textured wallpaper
  • Gloria Hart
    Gloria Hart

You could router out a channel and glue in a matching piece of counter top material 6-8" tall by the length of sink area

• Charles Prock
    Charles Prock

I'm thinking 3 or 4 boards 1/2" thick and 2 inches high would look like a cutting board on edge and gorilla glued down would look pleasing .

• Deb
    Deb

Maybe you could use a cookbook stand with a piece of Perspex on it and put it away when not needed. Something like this

, Maybe you could use a cookbook stand with a piece of Perspex on it and put it away when not needed Something like this
  • Mary-Ann
    Mary-Ann

How about a glass shelf installed vertically-perhaps 6" high on the area behind the sink. You can buy nice discreet brackets for this purpose.

• Hope
    Hope

A wooden beam, or a planter box.

• Patti
    Patti

Try a different faucet, that doesn't splash so much! Easier and you won't have a clumsy looking backsplash.

• Synthia
    Synthia

Thank you Mary-Ann! Good suggestion!

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

You could cut and raise the back side of the counter a few inches and use the 'rise' as the back splash.

• Synthia
    Synthia

WOI really like that idea! Thank you!

• Duv310660
    Duv310660

If the water is properly aerated with a inserted metal screen, it shouldn't splash! Check inside the tap - if yours is missing the screen, or if it is plugged with mineral deposits, there's your answer! Clean plugged screens by soaking in vinegar.

• Donna
      Donna

@Duval.26 I think you're probably right. From looking at the photo, if a person sitting in the space on the other side of the sink is getting splashed, it seems there might be an issue with faucet itself.

• Synthia
    Synthia

There was a problem with the tap on the faucet. It has been corrected. Thank you all for your suggestions.

• Sharon Barefoot
      Sharon Barefoot

I hope you received a helpful reply, I have the same problem but I didn't see anything that would help me. It seems that if you get a smaller facet or sink it would take away from the reason you have them which for me is to wash big pots. If you come up with something I would really like to hear it because although I wipe up the water its still a pain for the water to be everywhere.

• Maria Armstrong
    Maria Armstrong

I have the same issues as you do with an island sink so If you go with the glass backsplash I would really love to see how it turn out
  • Nancee
    Nancee

Plexi glass 12x29 and 2 shelve

• Firouzbakht
    Firouzbakht

Your post came up when I googled solutions for the same problem. Then I did a search in Amazon where there was a fairly expensive mat of sorts. I took this idea and made one from some extra under cabinet mat that I had. Not sure if it will work yet, but thought I would share. I will cut it better with a fresh piece if I think it’s worthwhile.

• Shannon Daley
    Shannon Daley

I actually have the same issue. We have some aggressive dish washers in the house and the water will get on the faucet side of the island and flood over and get my stools all wet. I’m looking for something permanent a couple of inches tall either in glass, stainless steel or marble that would surround the back and back sides of the sink. I call it a surround, and I know I’ve seen them before, but I can’t find them now. They’re also useful for keeping small kids hands out of the sink from the backside.

• Penny Martin Jackson
    Penny Martin Jackson

Just saw this and it might would work. Just something to block it from running. I’m having the same problem. Constantly getting things wet on my bar.