Asked on Jan 27, 2016

How can you determine if a ceiling has been lowered?

Gail craigthompsonJohnchipDebi53
+5

I am planning on remodeling my 1950"s kitchen and would love to raise the ceiling.
  • Debi53
    Debi53

Any good contractor can take a look in your attic and tell you if you can raise the ceiling and approximately what is involved and what it will cost. Do be prepared for unexpected and not always nice surprises when you do a project like this. Try to think of all the things that could go wrong and prepare for them. That way when things go smoothly, you are thrilled and when you have a glitch in your plan, you have accounted for it and the project can continue.

• Hop3745273
      Hop3745273

@Thank You Debi53 My new england home is 2 story and is built on a slab, so I'm not sure if it will help to get up in the attic. any other suggestions?

• Kathy Bitzan
    Kathy Bitzan

get your ladder out and go up to the attic would be the first idea, if you would of included a picture it might be easier to answer just by looking at it. Do you have a dropped ceiling with fluorescents now or that plastic over lights so that it spreads out the lighting.

• Hop3745273
      Hop3745273

@Kathy Bitzan Thanks for your help Kathy. I have a 2 story family home and the house is built on a slab.

• Debi53
    Debi53

I didn't know you had a 2-story. Still a contractor can look at the ceiling height in your kitchen and tell you if you have room to raise the ceiling. (I am assuming you have a room above where your kitchen is.)

• Hop3745273
      Hop3745273

@Thank You Debi53 I will call a contractor as soon as I firm up the plans. . I appreciate your help.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

Kinda simple. If the ceiling is the same height as the rest of the first floor, it cannot be lifted unless you life the floor in the room above it. Look into ceiling treatments that will give the look of a 'lift', such as tray ceiling, trims and paint color changes, that give the illusion of height.

• Gail craigthompson
    Gail craigthompson

Ceiling has been lowered and now has a tile ceiling, how can I hang a chandelier