Penny Starburst Mirror

Here's an easy project that will help use up those pennies you probably have sitting around in a jar somewhere. I created this cute little starburst mirror with just a few materials.
I used the smallest size mirror from a set of mirrors I bought at Target and a simple plywood circle from Michaels, but you could also use any mirror with a flat frame.
I used some Minwax Red Chestnut stain that I already owned to quickly stain the wood circle. One coat of stain was all it needed to match the pennies. I wasn’t interested in making all the pennies look perfectly brand new, so I gave them a quick cleaning, no brushing or scrubbing involved. After dry-fitting the first row, I started gluing. I went with hot glue. Despite the stringy mess hot glue creates, I figured that minor annoyance was better than gluing my fingers together with super glue.
I played around a little and created a pattern switching between the fronts and backs of the pennies. Then I added a second level to the first row to give it a little more dimension.
And that’s about it for me and my new mirror. I think I’ll call it Abe. Hope this inspires you to create something new with materials you’ve already got.

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Suzy @ Real Happy Space

• Sandy

How did you attach the mirror to the wall?

• Tammy Akers Allemand

I don’t know what she used but I would have just put this on the back of the wooden circle before I stained it. I think that would be the easiest way to hang it. You can get them at Lowe’s or any other hardware store. Probably even Walmart. They come with the tiny nails to attach it.

• Deborah Harris

The pennie mirror is heavy no doubt what do you use to support it to hang on the wall without falling because it's heavy. I have a nice spot for this in my dining room. Also where can I get the board from to put the pennies and mirror on. And can I made it a little bigger?

• Grandma Ali

You can get wood boards all over the place, eBay, Amazon, kitchen supply shops (bread boards)....

I wouldn't think it was very heavy as she only used a small board, a small mirror and I'd say about 100 pennies (estimation). I can't think what they're called, exactly, but look for D shaped picture hooks with a flat bitcto attach to the picture backs. Or you could attach a small chain from side to side.

• Grandma Ali

How many pennies did you use? On estimation, by counting only a few, I thought about 90 to 100.

• Bonnie

Great for Canadians as the penny has been phased out and is of no value

• Grandma Ali

Brasso will clean them. Once you start cleaning them, you'll start to realise just how much muck is on them from being handled so often!! EURGH!!!

I think it's a lovely little mirror. You could collect pennies from certain years to make special mirrors or pics for little ones with their birth years on them! I think you might be able to varnish them to help keep the shine.