Esther Glick
Esther Glick
  • Gap, PA
Asked on Apr 21, 2013

String to mend windchimes

ByLightOfMoonMarilyn HighleyDebLynn
+13

Our windy winter was hard on our windchimes and we have four that need to be mended. What is the best string to use to re-string them?
  • I would use fishing line. strong, thin and clear so the line does not take away from the chime itself.

• Diane

We just restrung mine yesterday and we used black nylon thread. I have had them for about 10 years and that is what was what was previously used on them. Hope this time last as long because it took quite a while to keep the tops even. We also dotted the knots with clear polish to help keep the knot tight. I love my windchimes!

• KMS Woodworks

I've used a thin braided dacron line that I used for my cellular blind repairs.

• Sheryll S

I used clear fishing line. And gluing the knots is a good thing too Diane. I might try the nylon thread next time though. Is it nylon or polyester now though?

• Diane

The package says nylon blend...whatever that means.

• Michelle Eliker

Thanks for the tip about the black nylon thread. I tried fishing line but it didn't hold up in the wind.

• Esther Glick

where do i find black nylon thread? thank you all for the helpful answers!

• Diane

I found it at Walmart

• Esther Glick

Thanks, Diane!

• Sheryll S

I used to have some black nylon sewing thread years back, but I did not care for it for sewing,.. wondering if it is still around somewhere. (grin) I am surprised that the fishing line did NOT hold up in the wind. Oh well, now I know what to expect.

• Sheryll S

I love this site because I learn something new every day and that is always good.

• KSS

I have used ice fishing line which seems to hold up well.

• Debbie H

I used black jewelry cording. It's strong and easy to work with.

• DebLynn

What about Dental Floss...I use it for sewing on buttons too!

• Marilyn Highley

I have restrung a couple of them using fishing line and it held up fine. There are different "tests" or strengths of fishing line. I would not expect a 7-lb test, or dental floss, or nylon thread to hold up metal chimes that could cut the line in the Oklahoma wind. The nylon thread or dental floss should work great for a light-weight chime, but I would be leery of them for a big set of metal chimes. It seems a lot would depend on the size/weight of the chimes and whether the instrument is exposed to the elements.

• ByLightOfMoon

Thanks for asking this question and all the answers respond too it. I am getting ready to make wind chimes! Smiles, Cyndi