Meredith Wouters
Meredith Wouters
  • Albuquerque, NM

How to Clean Between the Glass Door on a Maytag Oven

.5 Hours

My oven door was a mess! I do clean inside the oven and the front of the door regularly, but when liquid spilled into the vents at the top of the door, it made a big mess between the glass. I lived with it for a long time before I decided there had to be a way to get in there and clean it out. I saw a few posts on how to take apart an oven door, but none of them worked for my Maytag oven. So I figured it
how to clean between the glass door on a maytag oven, appliances, cleaning tips
On my Maytag, the glass face is just a sheet of glass, held on by a slim ledge at the bottom, and the edge of the door frame at the top. Rather than taking apart the whole door, you just need to slide the glass out. Sounds easy, right? It is, once you know how!
First, open the oven door a few inches, until it rests at its first stopping point. There are three phillips head screws along the top of the door. Remove these and set aside. Don't worry, nothing will come apart at this point.
Gently nudge the top edge of the door upwards, by pushing up on the handle. You'll see that the frame will just barely clear the glass. It won't come all the way off, which is part of what makes this job so easy. Just rock it upward until you can pull the glass forward a bit.
The glass may not pull forward very easily. Mine had little adhesive tabs along the edges, so I had to gently work those loose. Once it's loose, you can grab the glass on each side and lift it out of the bottom ledge. Carefully set it aside on a towel or the carpet.
A lot of gunk had built up all along the inside of the door, so I dusted everything and cleaned it up.
Watch out for exposed screws along the bottom edge of the door. Those little guys are sharp!
The front of the door then got a nice wash-down with glass cleaner. Finally all the drips were gone!
I couldn't believe how much dust and debris came off this door! A little Spic and Span, a toothbrush, and several paper towels cleaned it right up. Oh, and a chopstick for those hard-to-reach spots!
Then I cleaned the inside of the glass. I used one pass of Spic and Span for degreasing, followed by glass cleaner to remove the streaks.
Finally, put your oven back together by following the steps above in backwards order. Set the glass plate in the bottom ledge, and be sure it's centered. Lean it back in to the door, while lifting up on the top edge of the frame. Let the top edge clamp down on the glass and replace the three screws. Voila! A perfectly clean oven door! For more tips and tricks along the way, check out my blog post.
Meredith Wouters

• Peggy Boyer

I have a beige stove. Any way to get the brown stains off the door vents? I've tried ammonia and oven cleaner for self-cleaning ovens. A pie cooked over and burned to the bottom of the oven I think that's when it happened.

• Pal18299585

Mr. Clean Erasers should do the trick. These are so great for stovetops, sinks,ect They do not scratch. If burnt on, you may to scrub a while but you'll be surprised by what will come off. DO NOT use on laminate countertops, it will remove finish and you will have a dull spot.

• Kaye Smith

How do u clean the vented grated area near the oven door handles without getting products inside the door? Im moving into a house and that area and same for microwave arw soo grimy...PLZ HELP

• Kim Keith Gretz

I use metal skewers for cleaning these areas. You never have to worry about them breaking off!

• Connie

I have Electrolux double ovens, the glass is a mess, ho to clean between the glass

• Lon33667546

I just had to try this because my glass was almost so brown I couldn't see through it. I too it apart and it did kinda fall apart at one point but with the help of another person to put it back together it is BEAUTIFUL! Looks like new! Thank you for this post!

• Lon33667546

I will also be cleaning the inside of my oven by hand with oven cleaner instead of auto clean because I'm pretty sure that the brown mess is from the high heat cleaning.