How To Make Garden Treasure Jars

I started making these treasure jars when my kids were little and they wanted to make some garden art of their own. Because the jars remain functional, you can hide little notes and toys inside. Use them like little time capsules or part of a treasure hunt. And, of course, the covered jars look like pretty jewels in the garden.
1. Cover any used jar (keep the lid) with flat-bottom marbles (also sold as 'florist stones' or 'glass gems'). I use GE Silicone II sealant (clear, waterproof) as an adhesive.
2. Mount the lid on a post or dowel.
3. Attach the jar.
Notes and tiny treasures can be added at any time.
This is a simple, easy craft for kids and adults.
Any used food jars will work. Keep the lids!
You want to cover the jar with flat-bottom marbles using silicone sealant as an adhesive. Work from the bottom up so each row supports the next one.
Attach the jar lid to a post or dowel using a wood screw.
But first hide a wish and tiny toys inside for a surprise later.
Check the jars every now and then. You never know when you might find a treasure!

Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Lonni

Ideas of how to put a LED light in the lid and to where to sun can reach it?
    • OceeB

That was my first thought too. I am going first test the solar light inside a jar to see if it will charge through the glass. If the light charges, Yeah! Then I will find a jar that just fits, glue the light bottom (stake removed) to the lid and add the flat marbles to jar everywhere but the top. If using a larger jar, a couple of ideas is to glue the edges to top of jar without getting any on the solar panel. Or could hold the light in jar and stuff bubble wrap, etc. around it to keep it stationary since will not be seen because of the marbles. Will test a jar today!

• Rebeckah

How do u set them up with solar light

• OceeB

• Rani

I would love to make these for my triplet grandbabies. But how to keep the metal lids from rusting? I can see making these without the lids and putting them on stakes in my rose garden.

• OceeB

Or paint the lid for added protection. If the lid rusts, just replace since they sell those by themselves