How To Make Garden Treasure Jars

I started making these treasure jars when my kids were little and they wanted to make some garden art of their own. Because the jars remain functional, you can hide little notes and toys inside. Use them like little time capsules or part of a treasure hunt. And, of course, the covered jars look like pretty jewels in the garden.
1. Cover any used jar (keep the lid) with flat-bottom marbles (also sold as 'florist stones' or 'glass gems'). I use GE Silicone II sealant (clear, waterproof) as an adhesive.
2. Mount the lid on a post or dowel.
3. Attach the jar.
Notes and tiny treasures can be added at any time.
how to make garden treasure jars, crafts
This is a simple, easy craft for kids and adults.
Any used food jars will work. Keep the lids!
You want to cover the jar with flat-bottom marbles using silicone sealant as an adhesive. Work from the bottom up so each row supports the next one.
Attach the jar lid to a post or dowel using a wood screw.
But first hide a wish and tiny toys inside for a surprise later.
Check the jars every now and then. You never know when you might find a treasure!
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Beth

. What is that you are putting the screw into (bottom ) & how do you make the hole for the screw. I love this idea but am not to crafty. Thanks in advance.

• Cha13484115

I would suggest applying a dab of sealant to the flat side of the gem, then placing the gem on the jar to avoid having sealant spread all over it.

• Sue Spach Bachtel

Is there a way to put a light inside so it will shine at night???

• Lynn

Flameless lil candles....LED....I just at the dollar store. I'm gonna try them. 2 in a package.

• Lonni

Ideas of how to put a LED light in the lid and to where to sun can reach it?

• Allyson Cain

Cut a hole in lid and place solar light,$1 at walmart but you will have to place it right side up fir solar to energize.

• Dodie Singer

This something I can't wait to make, especially with my grand kids they will love it. Great idea and not so complicated that is what is best.
    Very pretty and so simple to work on, thank you.
    Blessings

• Reenaroc

Very, Very Cool Idea!! TY