2 Ways to Root African Violets From Leaf Cuttings

Most indoor plants are foliage plants, but African Violets bloom all the time and come in so many colors! They are so easy to grow, in fact, you can root a new plant easily from a single leaf cutting!
I tried 2 ways to do this with about 10 leaf cutting, and got 100% success! Which means...10 new plants! OMG!
Find a healthy leaf, use a clean and sharp knife to slice it off at the base.
First method is to submerge the base of leaves in clean, room temp water.
Put the leaf cuttings out of direct sun, in a bright and warm spot. After 2-4 weeks, you will see roots forming. Now carefully plant each leaf in moist potting soil, and let the little plants grow!
The second method is to root them directly in soil. It also takes 2-4 weeks!
This is a great way to get a bunch of plants with some friends, and share the cuttings so everyone will have many plants in a couple of months!
Ready to start your indoor African Violet garden? Check out more details and comparisons of these 2 methods at the link below!

APieceofRainbow

• Cindy Gabriel Clair

Can you do this with a fiddle leaf fig plant?

• Monarchmom

Yes, I've started them in potting soil. I used 6 -8" cuttings, cut ends dipped in rooting hormone . Yay, free plants.

• Jo Fischer

Can geraniums leaves be done with the single leaf method?

• Callie Henrichs

Yes, you don't even hacmve to wait to root them. Just stick them in dirt and keep them watered. You can do this to fill out a thinner plant as it gets leggy too.

• Janerose

I brought a geranium plant inside then forgot n left it in the barn. No heat in the barn. It’s actually Been blooming n I haven’t done anything not even water it...Should I leave it or ?

• Joann Gonnella Cope

Depending on where you live? Since it's been continuing to grow, I would water it. Not a lot just enough to keep the soil moist but not drenched? I live in Minnesota and my mom used to over winter hers in the basement in a cold storage room, probably not too different than your barn

• Barbara

I was always told to put clear wrap over the top of a 'shot' glass, (after it was 3/4 full of water!!). Then mark a small 'x' with a paring knife, and stick my African Violet stem through it, not letting the leaf get wet. Anytime I have let the leaf get wet, the plant has always rotted!!

• Ida9464

I stuck the leaf with about one inch of the stem in wet African violet potting soil and left it alone and it rooted then grew wonderfully.