Patty S
Patty S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI

DIY Hand Painted Talavera Tile Accent Wall

$400

We did a concrete patio extension with a pergola last year, so this year I decided it needed a little flair. I did a tile accent wall which is a great back drop for a Mexican Chiminea. It compliments the "Polatems" which I posted in 2012.
This is the wall as it looked before.
First I added the tile to the middle post. And then started my step down design on the sides following the concrete blocks as my guide. I was able to buy the tiles on line on ebay and at Mexican tile outlets in the Phoenix area.
After I finished the step down design on both sides, I then finished it off with the terracotta bullnose to match the cornered edge pieces on the center post.
Repeating design on both sides.
Added final edging with bullnose
All done and grouted
A picture showing the accent wall and my "Polatems" as they compliment each other.

• Sandra Ross Warren

I love your tile masterpiece, that drab wall was desperate for an awakening and you delivered. I do have to ask though, what purpose exactly do those bi-fold doors serve? They seem to go to nothing. Are they being used as a privacy screen, or to block the sun?

• Merry

I may have missed it, but what adhesive did you use to attach the tiles to the stone? I have a brick wall that needs snazzing up.

• Carolin
    30 minutes ago

I would like to know where you get the tile?I would like to do a mosaic on an end table top. I would like small ceramic tiles, multiple colours

• Gail

Such a wonderful spot to place the tiles and you did such a good job, it's beautiful!
  • Jody Wayman

Saved money and did stencil and paint for around $30 but l do love yours
    , I just did stencil and paint for around 30 because l didn t have 300 l love yours but happy with mine