Sarah Nave
Sarah Nave
  • San Jose, CA
Asked on Apr 22, 2013

What's eating my zucchini leaves?

1di361646Douglas HuntSarah Nave
+2

what s eating my zucchini leaves, gardening

I'm guessing cucumber beetle. For photos and strategies, see: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r116300511.html

• Sarah Nave

I have never seen one in my garden! Are the sneaky? Also, any tips on transplanting this? We are looking to move and I am just starting to get squash on the plant and will be so bummed to have to leave it. My local nursery does house calls and I am wondering if this is something I should enlist them to help me with.

• Sarah Nave

Oh and if they don't eat the zucchini or damage them, are the zucchini still edible for me?

I've never tried transplanting zucchini at that point, Sarah. I guess you have nothing to lose if you are moving. The beetle's damage will have no effect on your zucchini's edibility.

• 1di361646

Turn the leaves over and see if there's white 'dots' which could be mites. To me it looks like it's being eaten from the back. I use Seven powder on anything that has leaf trouble. But on my moon flowers it is a fat ugly worm. Get them off the plant and the leaves start growing the next dsy.